- Chapter Thirty -

——————

——————

"Mom, this is Eden, my girlfriend." Julia rested her hand on my back as she introduced me to her mom.

"Oh wow." Her mom says and pauses as she takes me in. My palms grow sweaty and I glance to Julia. "Lovely to meet you." She gave me a pity smile and hugged her daughter before she disappeared into the crowd.

"She doesn't like me." I turn to her.

"She does."

"She sure has a weird way of showing it."

We moved on and enjoyed the night, dancing, laughing and drinking. Her dad came up to us. He was kind. He seemed to be caring and Julia was most comfortable with him.

"Toast everyone!" Julia's mother clinked a knife against a champagne glass and everyone gathered into a circle.

Her hand slipped into mine as she guides me over to the crowd. "Are you alright?" She says as I rest my head on her shoulder.

"Just peachy," I grin at her.

"I'd like to bring my daughter up with me," Julia's mom smiled and welcomed her. I felt a grin spread on my face at how happy she looked. "Its been a few years since our daughter took over the company... and we thought what better than to merge two big companies together."

Awkward shuffles rippled throughout the room.

"Mom, what are you doing?" Julia says to Joanne.

Another girl walked up. "Everyone meet my daughter's fiancée!" My eyes met with Julia's and her jaw fell as she moved away from her mother.

I instinctively moved forward when she left through the back. This place was confusing. A long empty hallway lay in front of me.

"Julia?" I called out for her a few times. A quiet yelp left my throat as someone grabbed onto my arm and pulled me into a room. "What was that?" I asked as I was met with my girlfriend's soft eyes and sad frown.

"I have no idea. Why her of all people?"

"An ex?" I say and she nods. "I'm guessing she isn't actually your fiancée?"

"We thought about it. I said I was too young." She lets her head hang. She pulls back and held my cheek. "I'm sorry," slips from her lips as she presses ours together, "I had no idea." She repeats between kisses.

"Oh this is awkward." We were interrupted by Julia's fiancée. "Julia used to always hide here when she was younger, so." There was a small smirk on her lips.