𝘅𝘅𝘃𝗶. vroom vroom

❝it all hurts

❝it all hurts

it all hurts❞

-prey, the neighbourhood

THE TWO WERE ON THEIR WAY TO BRADLEY'S BIG BUY. THEY HAD FELT A CONNECTION THAT LED THEM TO GOING THERE. As if they needed to check the place out. The brother and sister duo sat in complete silence as their minds were fully taken over now. Once flayed, no going back. Or so they thought.

As he pulled up, the two got out, no words exchanged. They stepped on the broken glass, signal one that someone had been there. Who would rob a random shop, this late at night? Especially when it had barely anything valuable. Answer, someone in a hurry. 

The lights flickered as they entered, as the flayed entered. Billy stopped in his tracks, causing Lila to look up to him as he did so. He glanced around, before walking in a certain direction. Lila followed behind him. 

They passed a couple of aisles, but he stopped and turned his head towards the magnet that was pulling them in. The cleaning aisle. Of course it would be the cleaning aisle. She walked towards it first, walking around the discarded products with blood stained on them. Tissues, cloths, bowls and blood.

She crouched down, briefly looking at her older brother for a second as she did so, before resting on one knee. Lila put her two fingers into the blood, staining her fingers with it. As she retreated them, she found the blood to be stringy. That's why Billy and Lila both felt a magnet leading them to it.

The sound of a creature shrieking weakly filled her ears as she saw a faint indication of where she was. Until she looked up, and her eye veins darkened as monstrous screeching replaced the weak shrieking.

"Starcourt Mall." Was all she said, and she stood up straight. He merely nodded and the two began to make their way out. Her eyes were staring ahead of her, not on the box that was on the floor. She tripped over it, and stumbled a little before she regained her footing.

Glancing back, she found a dropped firework box. She looked at it, and turned around, not wasting a single muscle to look at it again, following out the shop after Billy.

At Starcourt, Max and Mike helped Eleven walk towards the Wheelers' car as she grunted in pain, from the bite in her leg. 

Earlier, back at the cabin, the mind flayer had showed up. It was a consequence of trying to find Lila. El had kicked the flayed butts, but ended up with a bite in her leg from a near death. It had grabbed her from behind when she wasn't looking, nearly devouring her. Lucas had saved her by axing off it's arm or leg or tentacle-- whatever they pleased to call it. However, a part had attached itself to her, and Mike ripped it off, which caused her to screech in pain.

Nancy, Jonathan, Lucas and Will walked much faster to the car, wanting to get out of there as soon as possible. However, the three friends slowed down. "El, you're bleeding." Max pointed out. For some reason, her nose started to drip with blood, though she was almost certain she wasn't using her powers.

"Are you okay?" Mike asked. Pretty bad question, it was super obvious she wasn't, even if Mike just wanted to input with his own talk. Even a random person who passed by would be able to tell there was something seriously wrong.

However, El stayed strong. "Yeah." She answered, despite the sharp pain in her leg and her scrunched up nose.

Max opened the back of the car, letting one hand off El. He laid her down in the back, causing her to whimper. He sat with her. 

Simultaneously, Nancy got in the driver's seat and shut the door. She plugged the key in, and twisted it. Yet, the engine only sputtered. She stopped, pausing before twisting it again.

"What's wrong?" Jonathan asked.

She stopped for a second, "I don't..." Nancy tried it again, "I don't know." The kids in the back watched carefully, but nobody noticed the red lining Will's eyes. "You can't be serious. Come on!"

"Didn't your mom just buy this car?" Lucas questioned, his arm resting on his knee.

Nancy threw her hands up. "Yes, I'm sure it's fine."

"Did you leave the lights on?" Will asked too.

"No."

"Do we have gas?" Lucas asked again.

"Yes!" Nancy shouted, growing frustrated. She twisted it again, her elbow almost as high as her head, but the engine still sputtered. "Come on!"

Jonathan softly grabbed her arm. "Whoa, whoa, whoa! Just stop, stop!"

Nancy leaned back into her seat, sighing as she looked at him. He moved his feet before clicking open the door. "Pop the hood."

The hood latch clunked as they did so. Jonathan leaned in, checking the cables, before he noticed something was missing. "What the hell?"

"What?" Nancy breathed out.

"The ignition cable's gone." He told her, his voice trembling. Jonathan fumbled with it slightly one last time, trying not to mess anything up.

As if planned, there was an engine roaring on the other side of the parking lot. Their heads swivelled around, to find a revving engine and car headlights switching on. Everyone instantly knew who it was. Max and Will gasped as it revved multiple times, the driver getting ready to drive forward. Why? 

Nancy slammed on their window, breaking them out of their thoughts. "Back in the mall!"

She repeated it as Max stole one last glance at her two siblings. Although they may have not been the nicest to her, there was still a part deep inside that cared for Lila and Billy. "Go! Go, go!" She ushered them out, as they carefully helped El back in.

"Go, go!"

Through the mirror, Lila's hate filled eyes watched carefully as her former friends ran back into Starcourt mall.

[put yalls seatbelts on, you may crash into a heartbreak. the next chapter is the battle coming up.

written 12th september 2021

posted 21st september 2021

word count:1042]