Chapter 28

(Y/n): "I promise! Everything's gonna be alright!"

At least I hope so. Welp her goes nothing. I choose the paper bomb on the left wall. I disconnect it from the wire, and it snaps. I hear the girls slam the hatch and jump away. I look to the other paper bomb and see that it's slowly lighting up. I chose the wrong one. Damn.

Once again things seemed to move in slow motion. So this is it. This is where my journey ends. I guess I'll never find out where I came from, or if Yukimi really was my mother. But thats not even the worst part.

What about Hanabi? She'll be devastated if I don't come back. I would be too. Damn I love that woman. I could see our life together. Sooner or later I wanted her to move in with me. Years go by, maybe ask her to marry me. Maybe have kids and start a family. That sounds nice. Well Im sure she would move on eventually.

I also really want to see my students grow. I want to see them become splendid shinobi. Yumi would make smarter decisions while out on missions and protect her friends. Riyoko would no longer be known as the quiet one but more as the kind and gentle type. Maybe she would eventually confess to Akiri. Man, I definitely would like to see that awkward conversation.

Speaking of Akiri, he's the one I want to see evolve the most. I have a feeling he's always gonna be the lazy and tired type, but I can see him being a leader. Hell, he'll probably take my place as the squad leader of Team 8. And then eventually becoming a Sensei to 3 new Genin.

Too bad I won't be there to see these things. Wait, what about my last words to them? Oh yeah. My last words to Hanabi was me telling her that Ive got more dates planned for the future. I promised the girls that I would come back alive. And as for Akiri, I told him and the man that I was coming for him. He may have thought they were directed towards the man, but I was also talking to Akiri. I was promising that I would save him.
.
.
.
.
NO. I am NOT dying here! Im gonna go on those dates with Hanabi! Im gonna KEEP my promise to Yumi and Riyoko! And I WILL SAVE AKIRI!

I look at the paper bomb. I quickly grab it from the wall and crumble it up into a ball. It started to burn through my glove and my hand. I then turn it to smoke, right as it was going off. It was fully transformed into smoke but it still exploded. There was no shrapnel or sparks so the others wont go off. But it did still produce a loud BOOM along with a shock wave that sent my body flying into the wall.

I think I lost consciousness for a split second. I definitely got the air knocked out of me though. After a few seconds I stood up and checked if anything was broken.

(Y/n): "Heh. Just a scratch. *Cough* ...Ow."

I made my way to the hatch while removing the rest of the wires and disarmed bombs. Just before I opened the hatch, I heard the girls above.

Yumi: *Crying* "No! He cant be!" *Sob*

Riyoko: *Crying* "Yumi...we have to keep going."

Yumi: "But, *Sniff* h-he promised he would come back. He promised!"

Riyoko: "I-I know...*Sob*

I slowly and quietly open the hatch to see them on their knees, both hugging each other while crying in their arms. I feel terrible for making them feel this way. I open the hatch all the way and climb out. Before they turned to notice me I kneel down and hug them both.

Riyoko: "S-Sensei?!"

Yumi: *Gasp* "You're okay!"

They both wrap their arms around me tightly.

(Y/n): "Im sorry for making you two worry."

Riyoko: "Don't EVER scare us like that again."

Yumi: *Smile* "You kept your promise."