l. Harry's Prophecy

▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰

▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰

chapter fifty | harry's prophecy

▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰

KAYA FOUND HERSELF in a room as high as a church and full of nothing but towering shelves covered in small, dusty glass orbs. They glimmered in the light issuing from more candle-brackets set at intervals along the shelves. Like those in the circular room behind them, their flames were burning blue.

She shivered.

Harry edged forward and peered down one of the shadowy aisles between two rows of shelves.

"What row was it, again?" Diana muttered. Kaya could only assume she was talking about where Harry had seen Sirius.

"Ninety-seven," Hermione whispered.

"Yeah," Harry added, looking up at the end of the closest row. Fifty-three.

"We need to go right, I think," Sadie whispered. "Yeah... that's fifty-four,"

"Keep your wands ready," Harry said, turning back to the rest of the group. Kaya had already had hers drawn.

They crept forward, glancing behind them as they walked on through the long alleys of shelves. The further ends were in near-total darkness, and Kaya's stomach turned at the idea of not knowing where the end of this particular room was. Tiny, yellowing labels had been stuck beneath each glass orb on the shelves. Some of them had a weird, liquid glow; others were as dull and dark within as blown light bulbs.

Kaya listened carefully as they passed the different rows for any sign of movement, anywhere at all... but at the minute, it felt as though they were the only people in the room. There was so sign of Sirius, from what she could hear. Then again, he could be gagged, maybe. Or choked. Or worse...

"Ninety-seven!" Hermione whispered.

Kaya joined everyone else in standing grouped around the end of the row, gazing down the alley beside it. She tilted her head forward slightly in an attempt to spot anything in the darkness — but nobody was there.

"He's right down at the end," said Harry, though not with an entirely convincing tone. "You can't see properly from here,"

Kaya and Jaeden exchanged glances that simply said, 'But is he?'

Still, they let Harry lead them between the towering rows of glass balls, Kaya beginning to feel more and more sick, awaiting the moment where the fifteen year-old would finally realise what she was slowly coming to terms with — that his godfather wasn't here.