Run or Die

I'm gonna die! I'm gonna die! I'm gonna die! I kept repeating in my head while the tears poured down the side of my cheeks and dampened my hands. My knees dug into the hard cold concrete while I stayed kneeling in front of the doors that just closed. I was never afraid of the maze because I was fast, I was strong, and I was tough. The grievers only came out late in the day and at night times. I had no fears. The maze was my safe place, oddly. I got to run and be free while trapped in this place. Now I feel trapped more than ever. Fear boiled through my body and skin. I had no clue what to do. Before I could think further, the sound of loud penetrating screeches cut through the dull air. The only thought that came across my mind was how much I love Gally. 

If I want any chance of survival- to be able to see Gally again- I need to start running. However, do not get lost this time. I stood to my feet, my legs almost buckling under from the soreness of my speed from moments ago. I regained my strength slowly before dusting off my tears and dirt from my face. I slowly jogged around the maze, trying to find any sorts of a safe place to hide until morning comes. The sound of metal rubbing against metal came closer. The screeches of the griever was deafening. I quickly hid behind some ivy waiting for it to pass by. 

Through the ivy, I finally saw what a griever looks like. A bulbous, dark creature that was 20-30 feet tall. It had metal legs that rubbed against one another each step it took. It was hairy and gross and had a huge tail, drool falling from its mouth and along the floor, leaving a path. It smelt awful, almost reminded me of Billy's breath- couldn't decide which is worse. It had spikes coming out. Then I noticed the stinger on its front leg. 

That's what's gonna kill me. 

After it left I waited another couple minutes, too afraid to move. When I finally did I slowly moved, but not far as an odd substance fell down a few steps ahead of me. I looked up to see none other than a griever. Run, was all I could tell myself to do and I did so. I ran down the corridor and the monster was not far behind. I tripped over a crack in the concrete floors and fell face first. My hands had skid marks and my left knee had a pain that spread to the lower half of my leg. 

"Deal with the pain, Finley." I heard a voice in my head, "Keep running!" It told me. This voice sounded familiar, but it was not mine. It was a boys. I tried to do as this voice told me and I attempted to get up from the ground, however I was then shoved and held down by a pointy and heavy piece of hard metal. I tried to slide away, unfortunately one of its legs grabbed the inner side of my arm and pulled me back leaving a huge gash. 

That's gonna leave a mark.

The griever let out its horrific yell as it flipped me over onto my back. I was now 'face to face' with the hideous beast. It raised its stinger and slowly brought it down. I screamed on the top of my lungs afraid for my life. The griever let out his own scream before stabbing me in the side of my stomach with his stinger. Pain shot up through my body as I cried for help. I managed to slide under the griever once he loosened his grip. I began to run the same way I came as the pain in my side, in my leg, and on my arm did not go away. 

"Finley, turn left." The voice told me. I took a left turn down one of the corridors. A dead end?! Stupid voice!  You gotta be kidding me! "Go to the ivy at the end. There is a tiny hole, you should be able to fit inside." The voice continued. I heard the griever running not to far behind me. I had no other choice but to continue doing what this voice said. I ran to the end of the dead end and pushed the ivy aside. I slipped in a small crack between two walls. I saw the griever run down the dead end, this time I was not gonna leave. When the griever did not see any signs of me, it turned around and ran away after letting out another deafening screech. I sat down and let out a breath of relief as everything became blurry. My heart is pounding as my head aches. I saw a blurry face sitting in front of me, a boy. 

"It's okay, Finley. Stay here until morning when the doors open back up. You will be okay. I'll be there soon to help you and your friends out." The boy's voice spoke in my head again. 

Then it was dark. Everything was a black abyss. A blaring white light took over.