Walls Crumbing Down

I woke up the way that I do every morning, the sun shining through the thin clothed curtains that covered the windows of my room. I looked at my watch to see that it was in fact time to wake up. Today is the first day of Thomas going into the maze as an official runner. Exciting, right? Totally. I slowly sat up and stretched my arms out and rubbed the sleep from my eyes. I almost klunked myself when I saw somebody laying in my bed beside me. That was until I realized it was the dark brown haired girl. She laid wrapped in the blanket. Her hair had soft waves which contrasted to mine that has a whole lot of curls, luckily I have been able to maintain these curls through my months of being here in the glade, I mostly have my hair up most of the time though because of how hot it is in the glade and while running. I could always give her one of my hair ties if she needed it- she does have a lot of hair. I slid out from under the sheets and over to my dresser where I changed into my running clothes. Looking back at the sleeping girl before quietly creeping out of the room and out of the homestead. 

I quickly ate my breakfast that Fry made and I grabbed my lunch and ran to the maze doors, turns out I was running late since Minho and Thomas were already there waiting for the doors to open. 

"Morning!" I greeted the two boys with a piece of bacon stuffed in my mouth. 

"Morning to you too." Minho laughed as he watched a horrific event of history happen. My piece of bacon fell out of my mouth and onto the ground. The dirty ground. 

"Aw man! You gotta be shucking kidding me." I sighed sadly, watching the bacon lay on the ground, motionless. "Well, that's sad." 

"Here." Minho handed me my runner's gear. I grabbed it from his hand and slid it on and did the buckles. 

"I was hoping you were gonna give me a new piece of bacon, but instead it is my stupid running gear." I huffed. 

"Sorry, next time I won't bring your runner's gear to you and make you go to the hut yourself and grab it." 

"Okay, jeez. I'm sorry. Thank you for bringing my runner's gear." I mumbled. "Anyway, you excited greenie?" Thomas nodded, however I could see how nervous he actually was. "You'll do great. I just know it." I smiled kindly, trying to ease his worries. He returned the smile gratefully and the doors began opening with a low groan and the creaking of rusted metal. 

"Let's go!" Minho shouted and him and I both ran in, Thomas seconds behind us. 

We ran down each corridor taking left and right turns. I could not help but notice that Thomas was running full speed with all of his strength to keep up while Minho and I just jogged our normal paces. He's still doing pretty good for a new runner, I mean I had to do weeks of training and races against other runners and gladers before I was finally ready and fit enough to go running in the maze. "This way!" Minho pointed. We soon passed section four and continued our course. I got super bored, so I decided to sing like I sometimes do. 

"We're running through the maze. Running through the maze. Minho. Minho running through the maze. He is tough. He is strong. He is the keeper, the keeper of the runners. Thomas. Thomas is running through the maze. He is a newbie, but he seems to know he is dooby..." I sang a song while we jogged through the maze, "Is dooby a word?" I asked. 

"No, Fin. Maybe you should ask the creators to send up an English dictionary for you." He and Thomas laughed. Or Thomas tried to laugh but it came out as more of a hack. 

We passed sections five and six and it wasn't until section seven that Minho and I stopped. 

"That's strange." Minho muttered. 

"What?" Thomas asked. 

"When there's something strange in the neighbourhood, who you gonna call? Ghostbusters!" I sang before answering Thomas' question of what Minho was meaning, "section seven isn't supposed to be open for another week, my friend." I patted him on the back once we slowed down to more of a walk than a jog as Minho looked around the corridors and walls of the maze.