3

1st November 2021

I woke with a start. I quickly pulled my phone from my charger and felt relief wash over me when I saw November 1st presented on the screen. I had 30 days to complete this task.

I quickly got up, I completed everything quicker than I had ever before and headed out the door - ignoring the clock that blared 7:30 am at me.

I passed the graveyard and rushed into it - looking for a certain spot. I found the space where the stone would be placed and noticed that instead of the flat grass that was there, weeds and flowers grew- meaning it hadn't been cut down for a casket to be placed there. Realising all this, I let out a sigh of relief.

I needed the fresh air I thought as I sat on the curb outside a small cafe. I pulled out my diary and pen and went to work on what I could do to save Louis Gray.

1. Tell him not to kill himself in a months time.
2. Watch him for the rest of the month.
3. Hang out with him on the day he's supposed to die.
4. Ignore it all.
5. I just really like the number five.

I looked at the short list I had made and ripped the paper up, tossing it into the bin as I made my way into the shop. "Hello welcome to-" the employee's voice cut short when they made eye contact with me.

Louis Gray. The same one that's supposed to be dead. "Could I get a latte please." I asked, setting the coins on the table as I waited for him to make it. He rolled his eyes and started the drink.

"Don't poison it!" I called out, probably not a great way to start this mission.

I watched him hold up his middle finger and held the urge to roll my eyes.

The cafe was deserted so I made my way to the counter and sat down, watching him make my latte.

"So you work here?" I asked, leaning my chin on my hand. He let out a sigh - turning back towards me.

"Yes." He pushed the cup towards me. I lifted it to my mouth and watched his eyes gleam.

"Ow, fuck," I hissed at the hot liquid burnt my tongue. "Oops." Louis said innocently, turning back to wash dishes. I pushed the cup away and leant forward on my arms, waiting for it to cool.

"Would you like to come to my house this afternoon to work on the project?" I grumbled, my finger going in circles on the lid of my latte.

"Sure," Louis shrugged, throwing his cloth at my face on his way past to put the clean dishes away.

"Piece of shit-" I mumbled, throwing it back at him. I watched the corners of his lips lift a little and internally smile at the fact I might be getting somewhere with this.

"Can you get out of my cafe now?" He asked, turning back to me.

Ok, maybe he still hates me.

I rolled my eyes and picked up my drink, not bothering with a goodbye or thank you as I left the cafe with a ding from the door.

Arriving at school at 8, I found Rory and Zach making out by her locker, which sadly was next to mine.

"Sorry, don't mean to interrupt," I grumbled, opening my locker loudly.

"All good A," Zach grinned before returning to Rory's face. I rolled my eyes at their openness and headed to the library for the 30 minutes I had left until school fully started.

I sat down and pulled out the project Louis and I were meant to work on. Due in 2 weeks. 14 days of my 30 day mission. That's when I noticed a sticker in the corner of my assignment, I picked it up to read closer.

You shouldn't try,
Nor would I lie,
To stop death,
Would be theft,
To steal my prisoner,
I'd hope you're a good listener :)

The smile wasn't happy, it gave me bad energy, like an evil smile from a villain. Suddenly, I was holding my head in agony, a smile crossed my mind in a sinister way when it resided to nothing. I breathed in deeply, looking to stand up but stumbled, I latched out a hand to hold myself up on the table. I could last the day.

.
.
.

I could not last the day. By the time it was over, I was walking home with speed that'd let me win the olympics if I tried.

Arriving home, I changed from my uncomfortable jeans into a tank top and sweats, I made my favourite tea and laid on the couch, falling asleep to the soft wind playing outside.

Only later did I wake up to my phone ringing right beside my ear.

"Hello?" I asked the unknown number, sitting up groggily.
"I'm outside your house." An unpleasant voice sounded. I rolled my eyes and got up from the couch, heading over to my door and pulling it open.

"You know you could've knocked," I told Louis as he made himself at home.

"I did."

I went red as he said that.
"Oh," was al I could get out as I lead him to my room. He threw himself onto my bed and turned to look at me, he raised an eyebrow. "Well? Let's get started," he exclaimed, pulling open his laptop.

"Let's get started," I mocked him, turning on my own laptop. I could hear him roll his eyes from here.

We started the project when I felt eyes burning at the side of my head. "Stop staring at me," I said, looking up at him. He smirked and tilted his head, "do I make you nervous Annaliese?" I looked back down to hide my blush.

yes.

"No, it's just really annoying," I lied, tucked a piece of hair behind my ear. Louis let out a 'hmph' and turned back to his laptop. We finished one slide of the presentation when I decided to make some small talk.

"Do you have any siblings?" I asked quietly, looking up at him. His gaze met mine as nodded. Because of his background, that my parents knew about but I somehow didn't, we never got to meet each other's family. He then took my silence as to elaborate. "2 older sisters," he muttered, pressing the delete key.

"How long have you been working at Karina's Kafè?" I asked, typing in a sentence.

Louis huffed and looked me in the eye, "is this prod into Louis' life now?" He asked, tilting his head to the side.

"Sorry," my voice came out as small and I hated it. A few moments passed before anyone talked.

"Since I was 12."

"Huh?"

"I've been working at the cafe since I was 12."

"Oh. That's young," I muttered, trying to get somewhere.

"My grandpa owned the cafe. He passed away 3 years ago."

Ohhh.

He rolled his eyes again and I couldn't help but scoff, "if you keep rolling your eyes they'll get stuck," I mumbled, continuing to right down answers.

"At least I won't have to look at you."

I grinned at his statement and looked up, "I know I'm good looking but-"
"Don't finish that sentence Annaliese."
I didn't say anything else but gave him a cheeky smile.

I'll save you Louis Gray. Somehow.

Words: 1216

Date: 9/11/21