ℙ𝕒𝕣𝕥 13

Percys POV

"My boy it is time you consulted the oracle." Chiron said. "Go upstairs Percy Jackson, to the attic. When you come back down, assuming your still sane we will talk more."

Four flights up, the stairs ended at a green trap door. I pulled the cord, the door swung down and a wooden latter clattered into place. It smelt of reptiles, snakes.

I held my breath and climbed. 

The attic was filled with random hero junked. Everything was covered in cobwebs. I examined the room and it disgusted me. Why did nobody clean this place?

I am the spirit of Delphi, speaker of the prophecies of Phoebus Apollo, slayer of the mighty Python. Approach speaker and ask.

I wanted to say Nope no thanks just looking for the bathroom. But i forced my self to ask the question.

"What is my destiny?"

A green mist spewed from her mouth and it gave me the shivers. But not in a bad way not like Mrs Dodds, she was plain evil. It felt more ancient. Suddenly there were four men sitting around a poker table. their faces became clearer. It was Smelly Gabe and his buddies. 

My fists clenched, though i knew the poker parties wasn't real. it was an illusion made of mist.

Gabe turned to me and said in the oracles voice: you shall go west, and face the god who has turned. 

 His buddy on the right looked up and said: You shall find what was stolen and see it safely returned.

The guy on the left threw two poker chips on the table, then said: You shall be betrayed by the one who calls you a friend

Eddie then said: And you shall fail to save what matters most in the end.

Then all together they said the last two lines:

  The hunter, daughter of night.

Decides if she wants to learn her birthright.

The figures begun to dissolve. At first i was too stunned to say anything, but as the mist retracted, coiling into the mouth of the mummy i cried, "Wait! What do you mean? What friend? What will i fail to save? What birthright?"

My audience with the Oracle was over.

"Well?" Chiron asked me. I slumped in my chair. "She said i would retrieve what was stolen." Grover sat forward eating the remains of a Diet Coke can, "That's great!"

"What did the oracle say exactly?" Chiron pressed, "This is important." 

I gulped not really wanting to relive my experience in the attic. "Um she said i would go west and face the god who has turned. I would retrieve what was stolen and see it safely returned."

"I knew it." Grover said

Chiron didnt look satisfied, "anything else?" I didnt want to tell him. 

What friend would betray me. I didnt have that many. Daughter of night? That must be Adelia. But the last line - i would fail to save what mattered most in the end. it was like the Oracle was saying oh by the way you will fail, have a nice time! 

"Nope that's it." 

Chiron studied my face. "very well Percy. But know this the Oracles words often have double meanings. Don't dwell on them two much The truth is not clear until they come to pass." He knew i was holding back something and he was trying to make me feel better. 

"So where do i go? Who's the god that's turned?"

"Think Perc if Zeus and Poseidon fought who has the most gain?"

"Somebody who wants what they had?"

"yes quite," interrupted Chiron. "Someone who has been unhappy with their place in the world for a long time. Someone who hates his brothers for forcing them into an oath. An oath they have both broken."

"Hades." I said anger boiling under my skin because now i knew who took my mother. 

"W-what?" Grover said panic rising in his voice. They talked and droned on about the possibilities. Grover saying something and Chiron contradicting him. 

"So let me get this straight," i said. "I'm supposed to go to the underworld and confront the Lord of the Dead."

"Check" Chiron said. 

"Find the most powerful weapon in the universe"

"Check"

"And get it back to Olympus in 10 days."

"About right."

"Did i mention Maine was very nice at this time of year?" Grover said knowing he was n a losing battle. 

"You dont have to go you know. I can't ask that of you." I said.

"Oh...No.. it's just that sayers and underground places...well..." Grover took a deep breath. 'You saved my life Perc. If you want me along I won't let you down."

I felt so relived I wanted to cry not very heroic of me i know. 

"Now normally i would say you need one  more person but i feel in this quest you need two more. And one has already volunteered and the other well she is in the prophecy"

"Gee who would be dumb enough to volunteer for a quest like this?" I said feigning surprise. Annabeth suddenly became visible. 

'I've been waiting for a quest for a long time newbie. Athenas no fan of Poseidon but if you are going to save the world, I'm the best person to keep you from messing up."

Adelia then walked in. "Yo Chiron heard you wanted me."

"Yes Adelia Percy wants you part of his quest."

"Well kinda dont cause she went full on b-"

"I don't think Percy wants me here Chiron you know that too. I may be no daughter of Athena.." She winked at Annabeth. "But there is another reason I'm here isn't there."

"Yes Ms Topaz you are part of the prophecy."

"Great had nothing to do but archery so lets do it. BUT i want to make it clear the only people i will be speaking to is Annabeth and Grover cause I'm still pissed off at Percy"

"Wha-" I started to say. Then i remembered our fight. By the gods, girls hold a grudge forever.

"Note taken" Chiron said. Adelia turned and walked out mummering something about packing.