Part 10

Adelia's POV:

Some of the spectators were trying to fight back. The Athena campers were calling for shields. The archers from Apollo's cabin brought out their bows and arrows, ready to slay the menace, but with so many campers mixed in with the birds, it wasn't safe to shoot.

"Too many!" Percy yelled to Annabeth. "How do you get rid of them?"

She stabbed at a pigeon with her knife. "Hercules used noise! Brass bells! He scared them away with the most horrible sound he could—"

Her eyes got wide. "Adelia ... Chiron's collection!"

I understood instantly. "You think it'll work?"

She handed her fighter the reins and leaped from her chariot into Percy's like it was the easiest thing in the world. "To the Big House! It's our only chance! Adelia hop over!"

Clarisse slowed us down and i jumped. I stumbled and almost fell out but Tyson grabbed my arm and pulled me back on. 

When Clarisse saw us driving away, she yelled, "You're running? The fight is here, cowards!"

She drew her sword and charged for the stands.

Percy urged our horses into a gallop. The chariot rumbled through the strawberry fields, across the volleyball pit, and lurched to a halt in front of the Big House. Annabeth, Percy and I ran inside, tearing down the hallway to Chiron's apartment.

His boom box was still on his nightstand. So were his favorite CDs. I grabbed the most repulsive one I could find, Annabeth snatched the boom box, and together we ran back outside.

Well this is not going well. Like what the actual fuckity fuck fuck. 

Down at the track, the chariots were in flames. Wounded campers ran in every direction, with birds shredding their clothes and pulling out their hair, while Tantalus chased breakfast pastries around the stands, every once in a while yelling, "Everything's under control! Not to worry.'"

We pulled up to the finish line. Annabeth got the boom box ready. I prayed the batteries weren't dead.

Percy pressed PLAY and started up Chiron's favorite—the All-Time Greatest Hits of Dean Martin.

Suddenly the air was filled with violins and a bunch of guys moaning in Italian. That sounds very wrong but hey ho!

The demon pigeons went nuts. They started flying in circles, running into each other like they wanted to bash their own brains out. Then they abandoned the track altogether and flew skyward in a huge dark wave.

"Now!" shouted Annabeth. "Archers!"

With clear targets, Apollo's archers had flawless aim. Most of them could nock five or six arrows at once. Within minutes, the ground was littered with dead bronze-beaked pigeons, and the survivors were a distant trail of smoke on the horizon.

The camp was saved, but the wreckage wasn't pretty. Most of the chariots had been completely destroyed. Almost everyone was wounded, bleeding from multiple bird pecks. The kids from Aphrodite's cabin were screaming because their hairdos had been ruined and their clothes pooped on. By the gods. 

"Bravo!" Tantalus said, but he wasn't looking at Percy or Annabeth or me. "We have our first winner!"

He walked to Clarisse finish line and awarded the golden laurels for the race to a stunned-looking Clarisse.

Then he turned and smiled at me. "And now to punish the troublemakers who disrupted this race."

The way Tantalus saw it, the Stymphalian birds had simply been minding their own business in the woods and would not have attacked if Annabeth, Tyson, Percy and I hadn't disturbed them with our panic. 

This was so completely unfair, I told Tantalus to go chase a doughnut, which didn't help his mood. I was also Clarisse's partner if we had won - which we didn't - i should have got some of the glory. No not that i was bitter. Not that Clarisse completely screwed me over

 He sentenced us to kitchen patrol—scrubbing pots and platters all afternoon in the underground kitchen with the cleaning harpies. The harpies washed with lava instead of water, to get that extra-clean sparkle and kill ninety-nine point nine percent of all germs, so we had to wear asbestos gloves and aprons.