Part 2

(mentions of rape)

Percys POV:

"There they are." Grover nodded toward a couple of younger kids arguing in the bleachers. "Bianca and Nico di Angela"

The girl wore a floppy green cap, like she was trying to hide her face. The boy was obviously her little brother. They both had dark silky hair and olive skin, and they used their hands a lot as they talked. The boy was shuffling some kind of trading cards. His sister seemed to be scolding him about something. She kept looking around like she sensed something was wrong.

Annabeth said, "Do they... I mean, have you told them?"

Grover shook his head. "You know how it is. That could put them in more danger. Once they realize who they are, their scent becomes stronger."

He looked at me, and I nodded. I'd never really understood what half-bloods "smell" like to monsters and satyrs, but I knew that your scent could get you killed. And the more powerful a demigod you became, the more you smelled like a monster's lunch.

"So let's grab them and get out of here," I said.

I started forward, but Thalia put her hand on my shoulder. The vice principal, Dr. Thorn, had slipped out of a doorway near the bleachers and was standing near the di Angelo siblings. He nodded coldly in our direction. His blue eye seemed to glow.

Judging from his expression, I guessed Thorn hadn't been fooled by Thalia's trick with the Mist after all. He suspected who we were. He was just waiting to see why we were here.

"Don't look at the kids," Thalia ordered. "We have to wait for a chance to get them. We need to pretend we're not interested in them. Throw him off the scent."

"How?" Adelia asked

"We're four powerful half-bloods. Our presence should confuse him. Mingle. Act natural. Do some dancing. But keep an eye on those kids."

"Dancing?" Annabeth asked, "Nope I'll hang around the punch stand."

Thalia nodded being ok with Annabeth doing that. She cocked her ear to the music and made a face. "Ugh. Who chose the Jesse McCartney?"

Grover looked hurt. "I did."

"Oh my gods, Grover. That is so lame. Can't you play, like, Green Day or something?"

"Green who?" Adelia said cocking her head to the side

"Never mind. Let's dance."

"But I can't dance!" Grover whined

"You can if I'm leading," Thalia said. "Come on, goat boy."

Grover yelped as Thalia grabbed his hand and led him onto the dance floor.

Annabeth walked away to the punch stand. Adelia stood there smiling

"What?" I asked.

"Nothing. It's just cool for us all to be together."

Adelia had grown taller than me since last summer, which I found kind of disturbing. She used to wear no jewelry except for her Camp Half-Blood bead necklace, but now she wore little silver hoop earrings with arrows engraved on. She pulled out her ponytail to look more natural with the other girls and her long brunette hair tumbled down her shoulders. She twisted a strand around a finger. It made her look older, for some reason.

"So..." I tried to think of something to say. Act natural, Thalia had told us. When you're a half-blood on a dangerous mission, what the heck is natural? "Um, do anything cool at school recently?"

Adelia's eyes lit up, the way they always did when she had been bursting to tell me- someone something. "Oh my gods, Percy. At my new school, I'm part of the netball and track team and it's so cool cause i get to go to matches and competitions but the football team are a bunch of blolbs of testosterone. They wouldn't let me try out but it's great..."

She went on to explain how she'd become really good at running and how the football team were jerks except this one guy Nathan who was in her science class. She loved talking about science I tried to listen. I knew she wanted to be a super athlete or some sort of racer when she grew up—she loves PE and science—but I could hardly focus on anything other than the word Nathan who came up too much for my liking.

The truth was I was kind of disappointed to hear that she liked her new school so much. It was the first time she'd gone to school in New York. I'd been hoping to see her more often. It was a public school in Brooklyn, and she and Thalia (since Annabeth was at school for kids who wanted to be architects - or specialise in that) were both attending, close enough to Camp Half-Blood that Chiron could help if they got in any trouble. Because I was going to MS-54 in Manhattan, I hardly ever saw them.

"Yeah, uh, cool," I said. "So you're staying there the rest of the year, huh?"

Her face got dark. "Well, maybe, if my Granda doesn't—"

"Hey!" Thalia called to us. She was slow dancing with Grover, who was tripping all over himself, kicking Thalia in the shins, and looking like he wanted to die. At least his feet were fake. Unlike me, he had an excuse for being clumsy.

"Dance, you guys!" Thalia ordered. "You look stupid just standing there."

I looked nervously at Adelia, then at the groups of girls who were roaming the gym.

"Well?" Adelia said.

"Um, who should I ask?"

She punched me in the gut. "Me, Seaweed Brain."

"Oh. Oh, right."

So we went onto the dance floor, and I looked over to see how Thalia and Grover were doing things. I put one hand on Adelia's hip, and she clasped my other hand like she was about to judo throw me.

"I'm not going to bite," she told me. "Honestly, Percy. Don't you guys have dances at your school?"

I didn't answer. The truth was we did. But I'd never, like, actually danced at one. I was usually one of the guys playing basketball in the corner.

We shuffled around for a few minutes. I tried to concentrate on little things, like the crepe-paper streamers and the punch bowl—anything but the fact that Adelia was taller than me, and my hands were sweaty and probably gross, and I kept stepping on her toes.

"What were you saying earlier?" I asked. "Are you having trouble at school or something?"

She pursed her lips. "It's not that. It's my Granda."

"Uh-oh." I knew Adelia had a rocky relationship with her father and her Grandparents. "I thought it was getting better with you two. Is it your dad again?"

Adelia sighed. "He found i was ya know...raped. And went batshit crazy as if it was my fault and started saying i was unclean and my Granda started saying he didn't want a family living with him that was fighting and it might be better if i just left. And it made me feel so shit Percy." She had tears in her eyes

I was so angry at her dad (more than normal) he was such a jerk. I was there when it happened to Adelia and it was awful. She was ripped away from us and we couldn't do anything.

"So you are gonna go?" I asked.

"I don't have anywhere to go and I don't want to do what i did before."

"You could always stay with me until you found somewhere. My mom won't mind. It's a shitty apartment but-"

Adelia laughed through her tears, "Thanks Percy I'll keep that in mind."