ℙ𝕒𝕣𝕥 23

Adelias POV:

We had landed in the ocean and when we climbed out we saw LA on fire. Due to an earthquake, Hades fault naturally. 

"I dont believe it, all that way," Annabeth said

"We were tricked a strategy worthy of Athena," I said. 

"Hey" Annabeth warned

"You get it dont you?" Percy said. 

"You shall go west and face the god who has turned." Grover said

"Who is that?" Annabeth said

"Gee lemme think" Percy said

Realisation hit me like a ton of bricks. And there he was standing in his black leather duster and sunglasses next to his motorbike.

"Hey kid," Ares said looking at Percy, "You were supposed to die!"

"You tricked me, you stole the helm and the master bolt!" Percy said.

"Well, now," Ares said a dark smirk creeping up his face, "i didnt steal them personally. Gods taking each other's symbol of power - that's a big no no. But you're not the only hero that can run errands..."

"Who'd you use? Clarrise? She was there at the winter solstice!"

The idea certainly amused him. Almost as if Clarrise could never be good enough to do that for him. "Doesn't matter. The point is, kid, you're impending the war effort. See, you've got to die in the Underworld. Then Old Seaweed Brain will be made at Hades for killing you. Corpse Breath will have the lightning bolt so Dear Old Dad will be mad at him. And Hades is still looking for this..." 

Out of his pocket Ares pulled out a black ski mask and placed it onto his motorbike handle. It transformed into a traditional Greek helmet. 

"The helm of darkness," i whispered. 

"Aye, now where was i? Right, Hades will be mad at both Zeus and Poseidon 'cause he won't know who stole this. Pretty soon gotta three-way war going."

"THEY'RE YOUR FAMILY!" I yelled. 

"Best kind of war. The bloodiest kind. Nothing like watching your relatives fight i say."

"You gave us the backpack in Denver. The lightning bolt was in there!" Percy realised. 

"Yes and no," Ares said spinning his dagger. "It's probably too complicated for your mortal brain to follow but the backpack's kind of the bolts sheath. It's connected to it. Kinda like your pen, always returns to your pocket right?"

"Annyyywaaayyy," Ares continued "I tinkered with the magic a bit, so it would only return once the backpack was in the Underworld. You get close to Hades...boom you got mail! If you died along the way...no biggie i still had the weapon. 

"Why not keep the weapon for yourself? Why give it to Hades?" I said trying to stall so Annabeth could come up with a plan. 

Ares got a twitch in his jaw. Almost as if he was listening to a voice in his head. "Why didn't i.....yeah.....with that kind of fire power...."

He held his trance for 1.....2.....3 seconds.

We exchanged nervous looks. 

Ares face cleared, "I didn't want the trouble, Yeah that was it"

"You're lying," i said , "Sending the bolt to the Underworld wasn't your idea was it?"

"Of course it was," Ares said. Smoke was peeling off his glasses as if they were about to catch on fire.