Chapter Thirty Nine

The following day, Aiden was already at work in his office. The new nurse, Nattie walks in with a patient's chart in hand.

"Hello Dr. Keaton"

"Nurse Nattie"

She hands him the chart and he looks at it. He frowns.

"A malignant brain tumour?"

"Yes, she came here for first surgery"

He looks at Nattie.

"I think you confused me with my father, he's the neurosurgeon not me"

"Oh! My bad....I'll have that back"

His eyes glance on the patient's name and he froze. Heart beating very fast and blood rushed to his ears.

"Where is this patient's room?"

"322, why?"

"Go tell my father, I'll be with the patient in the meantime"

Once Nattie left, Aiden rushed to room 322. When he opens the door he tensed up seeing Winona on the bed. She looks up and quickly gets to her feet, eyes wide in shock.

"Aiden....what are you doing here?"

"I work here.....you....you have cancer?"

She sighs. Her face turning grim.

"Yes.....that's why I came here.....there's a specialist in this hospital"

He sighs.

"So it wasn't about Cayden after all huh? You came for yourself"

"That's not true....I don't know if I'm surviving this surgery and i thought it'd be nice to see Cayden again"

"After everything you have done to him?"

Winona shook her head, her dull green eyes glistening with tears.

"I deserve this karma....God is punishing me for hurting an innocent child"

Aiden looked at her. How the mighty have fallen, but at the end this was still Cayden's mother, it's up to him to decide.

"I'll talk to Cayden to visit you but iif he refuses then I won't force him"

"Thank you...."

•°• ✾ •°•

There was a knock at the door, Jade opens it and smiles seeing Cayden. Today he was wearing a pair of cuffed jeans, white converses and an oversized white tshirt.

"Hello there"

Cayden hands her a tumbler full of cookies.

"I made this.....let's share"

Jade leads him to the kitchen. They sit down and Cayden sighs, catching Jade's attention.

"What's wrong honey?" She asks, pouring hot water inside the tea filled cups.

"I'm conflicted"

She sits down across from him. The tea cup slides towards Cayden and he takes it.

"Do tell"

"I'm planning on proposing to Aiden"

Jade choked on her tea. She heaves for a moment until she calmed down.

"I see....did you buy a ring?"

"No....I was hoping we could go together"

She smiles. Cayden really does see her as his mother.