39: Ancient Willow

You wake to the sweet sound of birds chirping outside your window. Radiant rays of light reach into the room, welcoming you to the new day. As your eyes flutter open, you expect to see Alcina lying next to you. The bed is empty, only containing your resting body. You sit up, looking around the room. Alcina is nowhere in sight. A small knock sounds on the bedroom door.

"Come in." You call out.

The door gently swings open, revealing the kind face of the maid you had met yesterday evening. Mary smiles as she steps into the room. She holds fresh sheets in her hands.

"Good morning, my lady." She greets in a chipper voice.

"Good morning, Mary." You smile at her.

"I hope I didn't wake you. I was just coming to change the sheets and tidy up for you and Lady Dimitrescu." She says.

"Not at all." You gleam.

You pull yourself from the comfort of the bed and grab your robe. You wrap it around yourself and stand in the warmth of the sun by the window. Mary begins to remove the blankets and sheets from the mattress. You look outside, seeing if Alcina is anywhere to be seen. You sigh, not seeing a sign of your love.

"Mary?"

"Yes, my lady?" Mary glances at you as the unfolds a new sheet.

"Have you seen Alcina?" You ask, strolling over to the bed.

"I have, in fact." Mary tosses the sheet in the air, allowing it to slowly fall and drape over the mattress. "She's currently in the wine cellar checking barrels. She wanted me to tell you she'd find you after a while."

You help Mary adjust the sheet, fitting it onto the bed. Mary smiles at you graciously, thankful for your assistance. She places freshly washed blankets onto the bed, folding them in half and draping them at the foot. You fluff the pillows and set them back in their spots at the headboard.

"Thank you, my lady." Mary beams a smile at you. "You didn't have to assist this old woman, but your help is much appreciated."

Although delicate wrinkles accent her features and stripes of grey hair sprout at her roots; Mary doesn't look a day over forty. Her eyes are kind, small crows feet creasing as she gives you a tender smile.

"May I help you get ready, dear?" Mary asks politely. "It's the least I can do since you were kind enough to spare your time to help me."

"Sure." You smile. "I would enjoy the company."

"Please, have a seat." Mary motions to the chair at the vanity. You sit, making yourself comfortable as Mary untangles the braids from your hair. She grabs a brush, combing in through your snarled strands. Although your hair quite tangled, Mary works through it with a gentle touch.

"How long have you been serving house Dimitrescu?" You ask her, breaking the silence.

"Oh my." Mary seems to be estimating the years in her head. "I've been here since I was a little younger than you, I believe. I was one of the first maids of Lady Dimitrescu when she took over the estate."

"You've been here for quite some time." You exclaim.

"That I have, my lady." Mary chuckles. "I've seen maids come and go quite rapidly throughout the years. But, I've stuck around. Lucky enough to keep my blood contained along the way."

"You know about that?" You ask, surprised.

"Most of us are well aware of Lady Dimitrescu's ailments. A few of us learned the hard way - assuming disobeying the mistress would only lead to being scorned. Turns out, Lady Dimitrescu doesn't take disobedience lightly." Mary sets the brush onto the vanity and begins to section your hair. "We've learned our place. It's the fresh meat that often disappears quicker than they arrived."