14. Insane

Elle stared at the message on her phone from Chris. He had specifically asked her to go on a date with him. She needed time to think, the reason she told him to go. She was lost in her own place because it wasn't so smooth. A week had slowly went by. Elle's parents had given her a date to move and that was the end of the month. They took everything from her. Including college. They'd refused to pay her fees anymore.

She wasn't complaining because she knew how they felt. The only person she could talk to was her best friend Kiara. She was the one who suggested she stayed with her in her two bedroom apartment as a roommate. Elle had already started looking for jobs. To put food on her table and also to make things better for her.

Maybe it was for the best. To be independent and live. It wasn't going to be easy but sometimes some decisions needed to be taken so that everyone would be happy.

If she wasn't around then her parents wouldn't have to look at her. She wouldn't bump into Loretta every morning and also Briana wouldn't have to deal with the sight of her. Theodore too. The thought of him made her heart clench. The pain was there but she didn't want to show it. Hiding was better than showing at all.

A car was going to pick her up, tonight. She decided to go and hear him out. What did he have to say?. What was he going to do now?. What were they going to do now?. The thought rushed through her head as got ready.

Tonight, she decided to wear a dress one that made you notice her. She always loved the attention. Something that could make her breathe. It was a red car. One she'd never set her eyes on. What was she thinking?. That's he'd pick her up?. She laughed humorlessly at the thought. But it also baffled her. Chris would have been in the car. Even if he wasn't driving he would have been in the car. Waiting for her.

As the driver drove off to the location. She drifted into another place. Everything was jumbled up. Nothing was going perfectly and she had a terrible feeling about this. The buildings and the hustle and bustle of the city was a distraction from her thoughts.

She also wondered. What if she was born as another person?. Someone amongst the people they passed. Or maybe what if she was like the older woman blowing bubbles. She was so happy. She shrugged.

" Everyone had their on problems," she muttered to herself and relaxed into the seat, closing her eyes momentarily.

She had expected to see him outside as usual but he was no where to be seen. She was rather directed by one of the waitors after asking about a reservation made by one Christian Garcia.
When she got to the corridor, she was familiar with, Chris was waiting for her right at their favorite spot. The restaurant, Elle loved. He didn't smile, the only thing he did was peck her cheeks. Not her lips. As usual.

She followed him to their booked table. It was a room specially booked for the two. They'd spent countless nights there.
She ordered, he did the same and their meals arrived.

As they ate from their plates, Elle store glances at Chris. His face blank of emotions and his posture straight and stern. Like she had offended him with her presence. Was he that angry?. Maybe it was just her imagination playing tricks on her. She thought. Chris was treating her as if she was one of his business partners. She had seen him do it countless times so she knew.

" I'll be moving by the end of this month, " Elle broke the silence.

" I'll be staying with Kiara, she gave me one of her rooms ," Elle took a deep breath and drank some water to wash away the dark feeling in her chest.

All this while Chris was quite. Not moving an inch, just eating from his plate.

" Aren't you.... going to say anything?," she asked.

"No, because there's nothing to say. " he locked gaze with her. She saw nothing. Just blank.

" Are you okay? ," she asked him worriedly.

" I'm perfectly fine Wanelle, " Elle's heart skipped a beat. Wanelle. He'd called her Wanelle but not with this tone. Except for the very first time he saved her and she told him her name.

"I called you here for a reason, " he slipped his fingers in his pocket and pulled out a cheque book.  She thought it was just a book or something but it was indeed a cheque.

"How much do you want?, " He arched a brow. Ella's eyes filled with tears at the action.

" E...excuse me?, " she swallowed the last bit of food in her mouth.

" Everyone has a price, Wanelle and I'm asking how much you'd like for spending your time with me, " Elle's brows knitted together.

He was paying her.

" And being my mistress," that was the last bit of it. She drenched him with water from her glass.

" You piece of shit, am I that cheap Christian? " she questioned,tears rolling down her cheeks.

" God, God, I was so stupid for thinking you cared about me and our future , " she was breathing so hard.

" I never did and I never will. This.....and that thing called love can be fixed so tell me what amount you want so you'd leave me and my family alone. " Elle tilted her head, to look at the ceiling momentarily before returning her gaze to him.

"Chris, " she called breathily.

" Christan Garcia or you address me as Mr Garcia. So tell me, how much do you want?. " Chris stared into her eyes.

"Keep your filthy money. Because my life would be fine without you. I despise you so much Christian Garcia." Elle answered with so much hate, Chris trembled. She grabbed her purse and walked away from him and his life.

" What have I done? " He covered his lips as he broke into sobs.