34.Desperate (rewritten)

Elle swore the drive to the hospital felt like a trip to the depths of hell. it was excruciatingly painful to hear that Chris was awake but she couldn't be there. She wasn't there when his eyes fluttered open. Couldn't see the confusion in his eyes or the way he rasped out for water to soothe his dry throat. She wasn't there and that hurt more than seeing him unconscious every single day, that passed.

"Please, drive faster" she chanted over  and over again.

So, once Bryan's car came to a screeching halt, She dashed out of the car with a speed far desperate than flash trying to save a little boy dangling on the edge of a rooftop, far worse dangling on a rooftop with glass shattered on the ground.

Bryan called out to her but she heard nothing. All she heard was one thing, she needed to see Chris. The hospital seemed too big to accommodate her as she pushed through queues and crashed into nurses, doctors and patients all together.

The elevator stopped working. She rushed for the stairs. Desperate to touch and feel him. So close.

She tripped and bruised her knees. It didn't matter anymore. All that mattered was him. His eyes.
As she rushed to the floor, where his room was situated, she burst through the doors to find Brianna  and Theodore staring at the doctor who was checking Chris. She couldn't see his face but she was starved to see his face.

Once the doctor moved, she saw his face. It was breathtaking even if looked pale. His eyes bored into hers. She smiled tears running down her face and heart ripping out of her chest.

Instead of seeing the intense love and the man she knew, she saw confusion, and nothing else. Her smile dropped as she stared between Briana and Theodore. They had the most saddest expression worn like an armour.

She could care less. Elle ran into his arms and clutched his body to hers. Feeling his heartbeat. The smell of drugs and himself.

"I missed you so much, my love, "she sobbed and held him tight as if he would disappear if she let go. He was her everything. Nothing mattered anymore. She didn't need the love of her parents, or society. It was just him and their family.

Chris held both her shoulders, pushed her away from his body gently and stared at her. His gaze flitted to Theodore and Brianna.

" Briana, who is she?, " Elle stumbled back in shock.

"Is she your friend?, I'm guessing high school, I can't believe you're going into college soon, " a smiled plastered on his face.

"No, dad I'm already in college remember?." Briana said. Elle couldn't understand anything.

" But, " his brows furrowed.

"Yes dad, Briana is already in college, " Theodore added.

" I don't understand anything " he said, confused.

Elle stood still trying to grasp the meaning of what was happening.

"You're playing with me, Theodore,"

" And who is she and why is she here?."

He didn't remember  her.

" My--- name is --Wanelle Jones, Mr. Garcia."