23. Tears (rewritten)

Chris grunted as he tried to pry his eyes open. The only thing he could feel was pain. He shut his eyes back once they fluttered open. The white lights blinded him for a split second. He opened them once again, scanned the area. How did he end up there?.

He tried to sit up but something heavier on his arm stopped his movements midway. He stared down at the woman sleeping on his arm with her hair , falling over her face. His hands moved on their own as he gently, slowly brushed away the hair on her face. His breath hitched, heart beat skyrocketed.

" Elle," he whispered but it felt like his voice rose to an octave. It vibrated deep within and made every muscle ache. She stirred in her sleep. He watched as her puffy eyes fluttered open. It widened momentarily before she rose from her position and wrapped her arms around him.

She thought, she lost him. She lost him,forever.

" Oh, Chris. " she cried. He felt her warmth against him. For once his demons disappeared and that was enough. Chris took his perfect time to caress her face,feel the texture of her hair and the natural smell of her perfume. How he missed it.
It was all short lived as she pulled away, harshly.

Realization dawned on Elle as she stumbled back. She shouldn't be hugging him. She shouldn't be crying for him because in the end, she has already moved on. She was dating someone else. She wasn't his and he wasn't hers, anymore.

" I---I'm sorry, I gotta go, " she whispered and went to pick her bag hurriedly.

He wasn't having it.

He rose from the bed despite the pain and hugged her from behind. Not again. Not now. Elle stiffened as she felt his familiar embrace. Her tears dropped unto his arm. She wiped them away quickly.

" I'm sorry, Elle. I'm sorry for all of it. I missed you so much."Chris sobbed. He could barely stand straight but he had his support here. His Elle. They were in a bubble. Only them.

" Let go, Christian," she whispered.

" I never did. I can never let go, " he cried.

" Just fucking let go off me, ---please, " Elle couldn't any longer. She would collapse into his arms anytime, any day no matter what he did. She was stupid. Reckless because no matter how fucked up he was, he mattered and she moved on. Did she really move on?. She asked herself.

" You told me to leave, I did and I left your family alone, " she sniffled.

" I don't have a family without you, I don't have a home without you Elle, It's always been you." Chris whipped her around to face him. Her anger created a distance between them.

" You are my home., " his gaze fell on her face. Tears rolled down his face. It was happening again.

" I'll tell you everything, all of it. No secrets. Please give me a chance and know one thing Elle, " he paused, taking in a sharp breath.

" I belong to you."

" I may have run out of every reason to make you stay but remember that whatever happens," he paused staring into her eyes.

"I belong to you. "