36. Water

First nights in a new place was a pain in the ass. You could hardly close your eyes, much less, sleep. Elle tossed and turned under the blankets. She groaned and whipped around to get a glass of water, the jar was empty. Not  even a drop.
She threw her legs over the side of the bed and grumbled as she slowly opened her door. She peaked out and checked the empty corridors. She tip toed down the corridor and went downstairs.

She walked hastily to the kitchen and decided to grab some food too. She didn't eat much considering the circumstances but now she was starving. Maybe movies lied about going to bed with a broken heart, you sometimes don't cry, you wake up starving.

" Movies, " she scoffed and down a glass of water. She set the glass back on the island and bent down to check the down part of the refrigerator. It still had leftover of what she had. Her stomach grumbled as she saw the food. She instinctively licked her lips.

She rose from her position and turned around so fast. She yelped but Chris was fast enough to cover her lips to prevent her from practically screaming.

Their proximity enticing, warm and scarce. Elle gulped visibly as his cologne hit her. They were like two puzzles pieced together. Two matching pieces.

" It's me, " he whispered, she could smell his minty breath. He brushed not long ago, that she was sure.
He slowly took his hand away.

"Chris, " she said breathily. She eyed him in a black shirt paired with grey sweatpants.

" Elle. " he scanned her outfit. If it didn't sound like he was sinning, he sensed her arousal, her nipples stabbed the thin fabric of her dress.

" I... I...errr , I came to get water, " she walked past him, finally finding her breathe. He looked ravishing but he was untouchable so that had to be avoided. She thought.

As if heavens was against her, her stomach grumbled, causing her cheeks to catch fire.

" Perfect timing, I also came down for the same thing, " he said huskily. To prevent himself from imagining things, he fetched the leftover dinner and tossed it into the microwave.

"Briana said, your parents are abroad," he got two plates.

" Errm, yes you know business and all, " she said. Briana was a pro at this.  She thought. Honestly all her lies were so connected that if you didn't know of the situation, then you'd believe her completely.

The microwave dinged,  indicating that the time was up. He took it out and decorated their plates. Elle watched him carefully. The fullness of his lips, his perfectly shaved stubble and the frown on his face.

Chris wasn't this caring at first. Just maybe, almost, maybe he didn't forget about her. Because his actions were hers. It was the actions he learned from her. For her.

Elle grinned, unaware of the intense look Chris gave her. She just felt right in a way he couldn't explain. He didn't feel so comfortable around Loretta. That he knew. He found himself enjoying her presence. It caused a balance in his life, even though he didn't remember anything about her.

" You feel familiar. " he muttered under his breath.