IDI4U part 9: infinite layers

"What are we doing here?", Brian asked. He was still shaken. He was carrying Arthur's box, while Arthur had his bag hung over his shoulder.
They stood in front of Brian's house.
In a way, Arthur thought Brian ought to know why they were here. But perhaps he had expected more of a heads up. More of an explanation, maybe.
Maybe the mere thought about confronting his father with nothing to go on but Arthur's sudden assumption, had his mind reeling. And he was just trying to make sure he understood why they were here.
To confront Cendred? To talk? To throw eggs at the house? At this point, anything was possible.

In Brian's defense, they hadn't really talked on the way here. Arthur had instead used the time to reflect.
On his own actions and behavior. On how he perceived others even.

Why he watched and assumed rather than asked, as Leon had criticized him. And Arthur found, that he did this, because he felt he needed to know things that he couldn't possibly know. He thought maybe he could read those things off of someone's face, instead of asking. Because being asked was uncomfortable to him and he didn't like putting people in that position.
But he needed a warning, before anything could happen that he would be blamed for afterwards.

Why did Arthur have to control everything? It were always HIS pranks. HIS actions. Why had HE to take the blame? Why was HE responsible for everything? Everyone's safety and comfort?
Because at least, when he was the one who planned it, he would know what he was punished for, when he failed. He would have done it on purpose and not be punished for something he didn't do.
And also he was specifically aware of what others needed. He thought he understood it better than most. And therefore he could plan actions that others wouldn't even have thought of.

Why did Arthur calculate how he talked to adults to keep them from questioning? Because he was scared they wouldn't take him seriously. Or.... they would break their oaths and spread information to people that were not supposed to know them. All because they meant well.

Why was Merlin the only one who was allowed to see him vulnerable? Because Merlin was the only one he trusted who never turned against him. Never forced himself on him. Always asked. Always let Arthur lead.
Why did Arthur push him away, when the tide suddenly turned? When Merlin approached him, Arthur didn't know what to do.
Kissing Merlin was one thing.
Being kissed by him another.

"I need to talk to your father.", Arthur answered finally, after staring at the house for a long reflective second.

It was quiet for but a moment.

"You're nuts." It didn't sound accusing. It sounded more like a question, really.

Another pause in which Arthur didn't answer.

"What are you planning? I know my father acted weird earlier. But are you sure after everything that happened, he'll still want to talk to you?"
'Especially about THAT kind of thing?', Brian didn't ask, but it was basically written in his face.

After everything that happened? After Arthur violently came out? Violently defended Brian in front of Cendred? Violently showed Cendred that he was the epitome of what he hated?
"He send you out to find me, didn't he?", Arthur argued.

Brian scoffed, but he didn't stop Arthur, as he rang the doorbell.

It took but a hectic minute, until Cendred opened the door. His eyes fell on Arthur and the bag in his hands. No one said a word.
No one.
Brian actually slouched again. Almost hiding again, as he was used to. The suspense seemed to shatter him deep down.
Until the string of silence finally snapped.

"Come in.", Cendred said. To Brian's surprise more than Arthur's. He looked strangely weak like that. Arthur had only known him as the angry man. The powerful and confident one. But now, it wasn't shocking anymore, why Cendred was acting like this.
To Brian it must all still be confusing.