Chapter Eighteen

It has been almost two months since I signed a deal with the devil, doing Lester's dirty work and being Trevor's assistant once again, except this time with more serious crimes. We are currently working on a Merryweather score, although it is indeed risky. Lester practically begged for us to hold off until I at least finish my assassinations, that way it doesn't look like an obvious pattern to authorities. Trevor surprisingly agreed that the score definitely needed more planning anyways, so he's allowing me to step back while he gathers intel.
As far as Michael and I, things are going pretty swell. He still has no suspicion of my activities, or that I know of at least. We're still in the puppy love stage of our relationship, because it was honestly unexpected for the both of us. I don't want to take things too fast just in case Amanda comes back into the equation. I feel as if when he learns about who I truly am, his feelings may change. Being a former crime doer himself, I cannot believe he hasn't picked up on it yet. In a way I feel guilty for lying, but in a way I feel as if I'm protecting him at the same time. One way I will have to cross that bridge of truth, but for now I'm riding it out.
I've also been having some weird dreams lately. The guy that saved our asses back in Liberty..he's been haunting me ever since. I feel as if I should know him. Did we attend school together? Was he a neighbor? Did he know my mother? The thoughts raced through my head day by day, after every dream. Perhaps I should ask Lester about it, but he may think I'm crazy. He already doesn't understand the enjoyment I have working with T.
"Alright, Harper. This is the last job I have for you for the moment. Are you ready?"
Lester's nasally voice bellowed through the earpiece.
"Ready as I'll ever be."
I joked.
"Great. I've sent an address to your phone. It's a construction site. Guy's not paying his construction workers a livable wage, and quite frankly, I have an interest in Gold Coast as well. Guy's name is Enzo Bonelli. There will be guards outside. Stealth isn't mandatory, but highly recommended. Bonelli is expecting a hit already."
"Word."
I started my car, following the GPS. My mind was still racing, but I had to put it aside. My job was more important than this mystery man from Liberty. This job was going to be a piece of cake if I put my mind to it.
I arrived at the construction site, parking around the block. I grabbed my sniper rifle and SMG from the trunk, shoving the SMG in my belt. I made my way towards the site, crouching behind a wall. I steadied my aim and held my breath, taking out one guard. I sighed. This isn't too bad. I took the remainder of the guards out one by one on the bottom floor, still undetected. Now it was time to rush in.
I ran to the elevator, slamming the up button. I frantically scanned the area, expecting the worst. I readied my gun. Leaning against the door of the elevator. The machine came to a halt, and I jumped out, quickly taking cover. By now the guards suspected something.
I pushed forward, taking out the ample amount of guards. By now I had switched to my SMG. These guys didn't play.
I hopped in the second elevator, pressing the button.
"We got her trapped! Shoot that bitch!"
I heard one of the guards scream as the elevator reached the roof. I quickly hid behind a stack of wood, catching my breath. Cmon, Harper, almost there.
I gasped as the helicopter started to ascend. There was my target, on the run, I quickly shot the men around it and opened fire, shooting the driver. The helicopter started to dip out of control, bobbing up and down before it finally fell to its demise. I heard an explosion in the near distance. I smiled, slouching against the pile of wood. I turned my earpiece on, ready to tell Lester the good news, when all of a sudden I felt pressure around my neck and against my temple.
"Thought you'd get away, huh? You may have killed him but I stand for him! You're gonna die!"
Fuck. I missed one. How did I let this happen?!
I attempted to wiggle out of his grip but he pushed the barrel into my head even more, tightening his grip. This is the end. I'm sorry Lester. I'm sorry Trevor. And more importantly, I'm sorry Michael, for not being up front and honest with you. Now you're going to think I abandoned you..
I winced as I heard the sound of a gun beside my ear. I paused for a minute, coming to the realization that I was not dead. I slowly opened my eyes, jumping at the collapsed body beside me. I slowly stood up.
"Next time you should be more careful, dawg."
I jumped at the sound of a man. I quickly turned around and found the culprit, a tall, built black man dressed in blue jeans and a white tank top. The man had short hair. He looked to be a bit older than me and was very handsome.
"Who are you?"
I blurted out.
"Franklin, Franklin Clinton. You must be Harper."
The man answered.
"How do you know my name?"
I questioned, slowly picking my guns up off the ground.
"Michael sent me here to get your crazy ass. Caught wind of it from Trevor after a falling out between the two."
"Ah, shit. This probably isn't good."
I heard Lester chime in.
Then it clicked. Franklin. Franklin that I had never met. Michael's friend. Which means..
"Michael is in the car waiting. He told me to drive yours back, that you and him need to 'have a talk' or some bullshit."
I sighed. This was the day I definitely didn't want to come. The day I stressed over and dreaded. The day I was going to lose someone I cared dearly about. Damn you, Trevor! I knew I couldn't trust him. I put my head down, following Franklin to the elevator. I waited in silence, dreading the outcome of this so called 'talk.'