New book Idea, ' Mom's Best friend'

I stood outside of the airport in the cold spring air, I wasn't used to any of this one bit. I sighed, shifting from one foot to another. I was starting to get irritated, many people came and left while I was still waiting. My four suitcases didn't help drawing less attention. I dialed my mom's number, hoping she would answer straight away.

She finally picked up after four or five rings, "Hey baby, did you land? Are you at her house now?"

"Hey mama, I landed about thirty minutes ago, umm you said she would've been here when I landed." I tapped my foot impatiently.

"She did say that, you know she's a very busy woman. Just hold on." She sighed over the phone, she hung up saying she was gonna call her. I heard the frustration in her voice.

I rubbed my hands together, trying to gather up some sort of warmth. We lived on in the Caribbean on a hot island, Virgin Gorda. It was home, but also very small and not for me anymore.

I've been here for vacation many times but never over a month, so I was already out of my comfort zone knowing I was going to live here.

A handful of those times we met up with my mom's best friend. I don't remember her much since I was young. My mom said when she came up in the states just like me, they met and became best friends, so in a sense I'm lucky they met.

There was never a time they weren't on the phone, sometimes my mom would force me say hello. I don't even remember her name, so I was practically about to start living with a stranger.

My mom and two brothers and I never grew up with much money, even so it was always in her best interest to give me the best education. My mom spent most of her money along with my brother trying to get me into my dream school in Texas.

We didn't have the extra money to pay for a dorm room. Instead of me getting an apartment on my own which I was one hundred percent for. My mom wasn't so comfortable seeing as I was new to this whole living in the states.

I guess she mentioned it to her best friend, she told my mom that I could stay with her until I'm accustomed to being up here and on my feet with money. I wasn't all for the idea at first but it made sense over time.

I saw a black Mercedes-Benz G class pull up right next to the curb, I wondered if this was her, the horn blew many times. I kept still, not trying to get murdered on my first day, no thank you. Was it even legal to park next to the curb? I thought only taxi's could do that.

A tall woman stepped out of the jeep, from her long jet black hair tucked into neat bun to her red turtleneck paired with a pencil skirt and topped off with black red bottom stiletto heels. She was gorgeous, absolutely breathtaking.

Now this was one of the reasons I became so adamant about living here, I got to be myself a little bit more. I couldn't really be that special lesbian part of myself back home.

I haven't even told my mom, I'm scared it'll change our relationship.

I kept my eyes on the woman, after a while she felt my gaze on her and looked up with her pale blue eyes.

She squinted her eyes, "Let's go. I have many priorities I need to tend to, waiting on you is not one of them." My eyebrows furrowed, this was her. My mom probably called her, I felt like a burden, this woman has a life that I'm intruding on.

I dragged two of my suitcases dumping them into her trunk, I thought would've helped with the rest two instead she got into her vehicle, ready to drive off. I hurried trying to pull the two biggest ones into her trunk.

I sat in the front seat watching all of the building pass by, it was quite extraordinary how they could build structures this tall. I wanted to introduce myself but I'm pretty sure the amount of times my mother talked about me on the phone, she knew me quite well.

We drove into a gated community with a huge houses built for the rich. I knew she was a top notch therapist yet I couldn't fathom the amount of money it looked like she made.

I was in complete awe of the Mediterranean style home, the black gate opened up as we waited outside, ready to drive into the shiny gray driveway.

"What is your name?" I asked shyly, I didn't want to offend her by not knowing her name. It was the least I could've known yet I didn't know it.

"Rose Alcott, but for you it's Miss Alcott."

--------------------------------------------

Should I?