Chapter 16: Change, part 1

"Agh..., my head."

May was holding her head when she woke up from her bed.

"Where am I?"

She wandered around the enormous room until the door to the room was opened.

"Zeru!"

May tried to run towards Zeru, but collapsed to the ground instead.

Zeru approached her and provided help.

"Take it easy now."

"Why can't I remember what happened to me?"

"You were unconscious for a few days."

"What? Are you saying I've been asleep all that time?"

"On the way to stage two, a tremendous attack hit you and some other participants, resulting in you guys getting unconscious."

"That explains the headache."

May immediately went quiet and stared at Zeru while her eyes were welling up with tears.

"Wait, you're telling me we made it to Waena Island?"

Zeru gave her a smile, and May ran to the window to look outside.

"WOW........ So beautiful."

May closed her eyes when the sunlight hit her in the face.

"So this is how the actual sunlight feels like on your skin."

Zeru came up to the window next to May.

"This Island is said to be the center of the world and the second most beautiful place in the world."

"It sure is a beautiful place."

May was running around from window to window, trying to see everything from her room.

Waena Island connects the rest of the world, and it is here that you could truly alter your life.

The entire island is a floating city on the water, with buildings built on very high ground because the sea can get rough, resulting in the island having some severe weather from time to time.

Waena Island was formed by volcanic activity many years ago. The island's climate can be defined as mild all year, fairly humid, with mostly northeasterly breezes and few significant storms. It has snowy mountains and scorching beaches.

Waena Island is encircled by mountains, and there are four entrances to the island, each with colossal statues portraying the four world guardians.

The eagle statue is at the north entrance and the dragon statue is in the south. The giant statue is to the east, while the great serpent statue is to the west.

***

Someone knocked on the door, and May went to open it.

"Hi, May."

"Hello, Rose."

"You finally woke up."

"Yeah, and I want to go outside now."

"First thing first, we go to the dining room and eat."

"Sounds like a good plan to me. Let's get Kai and the others, then."

"May, about Kai...."

"What about him? Is he still asleep?"

"No."

May locked eyes with Rose, and it was then that she realized her death stare while looking at Zeru.

"What's going on Rose?"

"Let's talk on the way to the dining room."

Rose grabbed May's hand, and they rushed towards the dining room.

"Rose, talk to me. What's going on?"

Rose led May to a cellar near the dining room, hoping to have a private conversation with her.

"May, please listen. Avoid Zeru at all costs. He's a murderer."

"What are you talking about ?"

"Zeru killed........"

suddenly Zeru appeared behind them, looking like a lifeless statue standing in front of them, just as Rose was about to finish her sentence.

May's expression had become lifeless as she locked eyes with Zeru.

"I look everywhere for you."

"Rose and I were just having a private girl talk."

"Is that so?"

"Do you want to join us?"

"No, but you and I need to talk right now."

"Can you tell me why we're in such a hurry? I'm starving. I need to eat something first."

"NO, I mean the food can w....."

A voice from a speaker in the hallway drew everyone's attention before Zeru could finish his sentence.

"Good morning. I hope you all had a wonderful time on Waena Island during your first few days. Once you've finished eating, I'd like to invite everyone to the meeting room."

"The day has finally arrived for you guys to get the next important information for the finals."

May dragged Zeru into the dining room, where the other participants were already seated around the large table, eating cuisine they had never seen before.

"What do you want to eat, miss?"

"I..... I'm not sure. I've never seen meals like this before in my life."

"Can you tell me about your favorite food?"

"I don't really have a favorite food, but I consume a lot of protein-rich food."

"If that's the case, I'll make you a dish that you'll enjoy."

May went to the table and sat across from Zeru while the servant went to the kitchen area.

A few minutes later, the servant came from the kitchen area, holding a tray in her hand.

"Enjoy your meal, miss."

"Thank you."

May's plate contained two slices of roasted chicken sandwich with eggs and vegetables. A slice of avocado and bananas were in another bow, and a cup of a black tea.

Tears of joy flowed down her face as she took her fist bite, and she ate more quickly.

May looked around the table and noticed that she wasn't the only one who was delighted until her gaze fell on Zeru.

He didn't touch his food and was silently staring at a empty space.

After everyone had finished eating, they returned to their rooms, showered, and changed before heading to the meeting room.

In the meeting room, the three clan leaders in stage two stood in the middle of the room, awaiting the participants' arrival.