Chapter 44: Irregular, part 9

As soon as Zeru saw Thomas enter the room, he immediately approached him, filled with questions.

But the one question that bothered Zeru the most was how he could possibly have two crystals inside his body.

Thomas locked eyes with Zeru and placed a hand on his shoulder, but Zeru quickly shrugged it off and began asking questions.

"How is this possible?"

Thomas gave Zeru a brief smile before starting to applaud.

"Look at you. I told you your story wouldn't end in a wheelchair."

Zeru looked at his legs and felt that something was different about him—he felt as strong as a beast and as fast as a bullet.

Confused as he was, Zeru knew one thing for sure: it was right to show his gratitude.

So Zeru suddenly bowed his head and thanked Thomas.

"Thank you so much, sir, for giving me another chance at life."

Thomas shook his head, and suddenly the doctor who performed Zeru's operation walked into the recovery room where Zeru and Thomas were.

"Don't thank me; thank this man. He's the one who saved your life."

The doctor put on his glasses and then started to chuckle a bit.

"No, Zeru, you are the one who did the most work here. Without your courage, we wouldn't have been successful with the operation."

As soon as the doctor said that, Zeru began to recall the intense pain he felt during the operation.

His heart started to race, and he began to sweat and breathe heavily as he clutched his chest.

The doctor walked up to Zeru, helped him into a chair, and then took a seat next to him.

"Easy now, Zeru. It's okay; everything is behind us now."

It took a few minutes of silence for Zeru to calm down and for his heart rate to return to normal.

After that, the doctor pulled out some files, and the atmosphere in the room quickly changed.

"We have a lot to discuss."

Zeru blinked a few times and tried to swallow, but realized his mouth was dry as the doctor began to speak.

"First things first: how are you feeling, Zeru?"

"To be honest, Doc, I've never felt better in my life."

The doctor gave Zeru a quick smile before handing him the files he had.

Zeru began examining the files and started asking questions.

"What's all this?"

"It's your status and all the data we could gather from when you arrived until now."

Zeru could feel the weight of the files and how heavy they were, which made him a bit uneasy.

Zeru handed the files back to the doctor and then asked him a question:

"Were you able to gather this much information in just a month?"

"Do you see who's working down there?"

Zeru glanced outside the recovery room and realized for the first time just how vast the secret lab was.

"Inside this lab, we have the best scientists and doctors in the world, all working together to create what gave you a second chance at life."

Zeru looked at his chest and noticed that right under his fire crystal was another crystal glowing bright green.

The doctor removed his glasses, placed the files on the table, and continued his conversation with Zeru.