Chapter 13: Just Friends

I'm about a day's run from the Todoroki territory, which gave me enough space to avoid any alpha discovering me, or for my omega to search for one. My omega was very picky with the place for our heat. Nothing seemed right, but when the night started growing cold I was forced to settle in an abandoned cave.

There wasn't a water source nearby, so I knew I would get dehydrated quickly. I also didn't have any time to make some kind of nest before my heat fully took over. I was forced to lay on the hard ground and endure the discomfort without anything to ease my simple desires.

In a lot of ways it seemed fitting for the situation. Why would I need anything when I was mourning. I don't need luxury, I needed Kacchan. That was the only thing I thought about, Kacchan.

I gained control of my body on day three, my heat ending early. Probably because of how stressed and malnourished I became, but I couldn't do anything to change that.

As I walked my way out of the cave, brushing the rock walls as I tried to keep my balance. My muscles are sore from sleeping on the hard ground. I can feel my body is weak from not eating through my heat and my throat is dry. Usually I would have another omega care for me, but I couldn't do that to Kami. He deserved to be with his mate and pup during this time.

I sigh as I shift into my human form, letting the sun warm my cold skin. The warmth allowing me to empty my mind and just feel in the moment.

I really am an outlier now. We aren't really a pack anymore, just a mated couple with a friend hanging around them. There is no way our pack will rebuild, not without Kacchan. I feel my chest tighten as I utter his name.

As I'm about to walk I notice a glint of light reflecting off of something. There is a leaf bowl of water set a few steps away from the cave entrance. I walk up to it slowly as I look around. I pick up the bowl and sniff it, the water driving my thirst rampant as I hesitate. The water is fresh, so I take a sip, relief filling me.

I sit down and almost drink all the water before looking up. "You can come out now, I know you're there." I state loudly.

A few moments go by before the familiar bicolored alpha emerges, an embarrassed smile on his face as his cheeks turn rosy.

"I should have known you wouldn't listen to me." I say with a smirk on my face. This wolf hasn't been one to enjoy us being separated. He is a little clingy, but I don't really mind. Even while mourning I would get a whiff of his scent every now and again. He has been watching over me this whole time.

"I just wanted to make sure you were safe." He states as he sits by me. I can't help the giggle that leaves me.

"So you sat outside this cave for 3 days?" I questioned. "Sounds boring."

He hummed in response before looking towards me. "Not boring. I scared off a few deer, as well as diffused a fight with an angry raccoon."

I can't help but fully laugh. "My hero, what would I have done if that raccoon discovered I was in heat?" I say with a teasing tone.

"Listen, he was a huge raccoon. He could have caused damage." He laughs along with me.

How does he do this? Even with the weight I bare, the darkness seems a little lighter with him here. The smallest light to allow some joy seep in.

I finish the water as we sit there in silence. The birds flying overhead bring soft music to the rustling of the leaves.

"Sho, thank you for everything you have done." I whisper, scared to break our silence.

I feel his arm wrap around my waist as he pulls me close." I will do anything for you." He responded softly.

"But why? Because of some bond." I can't help but question. We barely know each other, it doesn't make any sense.