Chapter 4

The next few days had gone by in a blur for Matt. Brett had gone back to the store and bought the rest of what Matt needed, like notebooks, binders, dividers, pens, pencils, sticky notes, basic school supplies. She had watched as Matt was keeping a close eye on anything about the bombing and redoing all of his school notes. Slowly, Matt had gotten quieter and quieter and retreated into himself, which concerned Brett. It worried her more when Matt constantly had a frustrated look on his face and held his head. She had asked what was wrong, thinking it was something about his headache, but he only brushed her off and went back to make notes.

Back at the house, it was weird without Otis. Everyone felt the lack of his presence and rushed to the hospital when they told them that Otis was awake. It wasn't a busy shift, but many wanted to be busy themselves. Otis may be awake, but he wasn't out of the woods. He needed a kidney and blood transfusion, and at the moment, they have yet to find a match. People have gotten tested, but none that matched, and it frustrated them to no end. They had a potential donor, but they are still waiting on the labs to come back, and the doctor didn't mention anything, not wanting to get their hopes up.

Sneaking out of the apartment to get tested for a transplant was hard. He didn't have a car or even know how to drive, leaving him with public transit. Normally, he had no problems with it, but it was a problem with a boot and a badly bruised leg. However, he sucked it up, went to the hospital, and ran tests on him. He saw firehouse 51 and hoped that he wouldn't run in Sylvie and was glad when they were called to a scene.

He was walking out of the hospital as he made his way back home when he saw it again. This time he felt all colour drain from his face as he took in the person beside the car. He suddenly felt sick and threw up on the floor.

A nurse was out getting coffee when it happened and rushed to see if Matt was okay. Matt reassured her that he was fine and offered to help clean up, but she told him to go home and get some rest.

When Matt looked back to where the person was, the person and car were out of sight, and Matt felt a familiar fear creep into his mind. He walked away from the hospital as quickly as possible, not even caring about the pain it was causing. He needed to get home, and he needed to get home now.

He kept looking over his shoulder and scanning his surroundings, and when he saw the car on the opposite parking lot from where he was waiting for the bus, he felt bile rise again. He threw up beside a tree and had practically run into the bus when it finally arrived.

He locked the door and did the chain lock when he got to the apartment. He then ran to every window, locked it well, and drew the curtains. He even put a chair in front of the door to be safe. When he was more satisfied, he went to the bathroom to freshen up.

"PTSD, he wasn't really there. You are not really being followed. He's not really there," Matt muttered to himself before splashing water on his face. Matt had stayed hovering over the sink for a few more minutes before brushing his teeth. Once that was done, he sat down at his desk and started working on school again in an attempt to distract himself.

~~~

Kelly had found himself thinking about the blue-eye blonde man. He hated it. He couldn't help the attraction, and the last time this happened was with Anna, which was too hard to look back on. He couldn't let this repeat that relationship, but he also couldn't help his thoughts and feelings. It doesn't help that Kelly has a longing for something more long-term, but at the same time, the idea scares him.

He had also had Brett's gaze on him more often, and it was annoying, especially since he couldn't get anything from her facial expression. She was very similar to when he had tucked Matt into bed that night of the whole incident. He decided to ask Shay about it later.