Chapter 42

Matt had arrived at the firehouse, and the garage doors were closed. He isn't surprised. It's mid-January, so it's still freezing, so Matt was happy about not worrying about the ice cream melting. He opened the side door, and no one was on the apparatus, but probably because all trucks were gone and only ambo was parked there. He decided to walk straight into the house and went for the common room to find Shay and Brett sitting on the couch, looking dead.

"Hey," Matt said tentatively, and the two girls looked up in surprise, seeing Matt standing there.

"What's that?" Shay asked, getting up and grabbing the box in Matt's hand.

"I made cake. There are layers of ice cream cake," Matt said and let Shay take the cake out of his hand.

"Thanks, but why?" Brett asked, walking up to him, and he threw an arm over her shoulder, and they walked to where Shay was already cutting herself a slice.

"That's a long conversation for later," Matt said with a shake of his head. "Have you eaten yet?"

"Nah, we just got back from a call, but we have no idea how long everyone else has been out," Brett said and walked to the fridge and stared into it with a frown on her face.

"Long day?" Matt asked, and both girls sighed and nodded. "Want me to whip up something?"

"You don't have to," Brett said, but she had moved out of the way for Matt to look around.

"Boden won't mind, would he?" Matt asked, and they shook their heads. "Well, since it's freezing, maybe I'll do a soup and a casserole?"

"Sure," they both said, and Matt started grabbing what he needed. They both sensed Matt did not want to talk, so they spoke about their long shift and the 'interesting' people they've encountered. This led to Shay ranting about this one homophobic victim they had to deal with and the victim's daughter and wife, who looked mortified. The talk took a little over an hour, and by then, the casserole was nearly done, and they both had a bowl of soup. They all heard the garage doors opening, and it wasn't long when a herd of firefighters came into the common room following the scent.

"Matt made soup and a casserole and brought cake," Shay said, and Matt rolled his eyes as he pulled the casserole out of the oven.

"Cake?" Mouch asked, looking around.

"Fridge has ice cream, so we didn't want it to melt," Matt explained, and he went to the fridge. Matt looked around and caught Kelly's eye, who jerked his head towards the bunk room, and Matt pulled the second plate he kept in the oven. He grabbed a spoon and fork, slipped out of the room without anyone noticing, and walked towards Kelly's office.

"Hey," Kelly said with a tired smile, walking out of his office and smiling gratefully when he saw the plate of food in Matt's hand.

"Hey back," Matt said and leaned up to kiss Kelly and let him take the plate. "Sorry, but the cake might be gone if you're here for too long."

"I don't care," Kelly said as he placed the plate on the table and turned around to pull Matt in for another kiss. "What are you doing here?" Matt looked at him and shook his head.

"You're tired, and we have the hockey thing tomorrow, so we'll talk later. But I made cake, and well, it would take a while for four people, so why not bring it here," Matt said with a shrug and tried to wiggle out of Kelly's embrace, but Kelly was holding him in place. He was looking at Matt, studying him, debating whether or not this conversation needed to happen now or later.

"Matt," Kelly said with a sigh, and Matt slumped and moved Kelly to sit down and moved the plate in front of him. Kelly pulled him down into his lap. It was a long day for him, so he needed the comfort Matt provided by just being close. "Talk while I eat," Kelly said, and Matt slumped against his shoulder but let his body be moved as Kelly took a few bites. "Shit, the soup was needed. We were all freezing our asses off just now for like hours."