Chapter 11

The second Severide and Shay came home, they immediately went to their rooms to crash. After the bombing, they were only at the house for twenty minutes when they were called out again, and it was like that throughout the night. Neither noticed that Brett nor Matt wasn't at the apartment.

Brett and Matt were sitting in a hospital room waiting for Dr. Halstead. Matt still hadn't figured out what was wrong with the footage, and it was bugging him. He couldn't sleep either and needed to figure it out because it was bothering him. He felt like the manager was speaking the truth. But then that poses the question of why the footage was under his access and why did the footage seem tampered with. He was so deep in thought that he didn't hear Will walk into the room or him talking to them.

"Matt," Will said, placing a hand on Matt's knee, and Matt jumped and almost kicked Will with his boot had he not moved away. "Woah, buddy, calm down."

"Sorry," Matt mumbled, embarrassed. Will had chuckled, and they continued with the appointment. He first checked his head, which was fine. Then the stitches at the back of his neck, which was fine too, no longer have to wear the bandage all the time. The bruise on his shin was healing better, and his ankle was better. Will said that he could start taking the foot out of the boot a few times a day and ice or rest it but keep it elevated. He told them to hold off on the physiotherapy for another week, but his ankle was healing better.

They also talked more about the transplant and told Matt that he was a perfect match for Otis. Brett told him about the situation he is placed in with the two bombing without telling him the real reason and saying he could be vulnerable if they were to get the surgery now. Halstead said that Otis isn't in any danger yet, but they can only keep him on it for the longest two weeks before it starts to get critical for Otis. Matt immediately asked if they could schedule the transplant for a couple of days before the two-week deadline and hope that everything is solved by then, and if it isn't, he is willing to take the risk. Brett wanted to protest, but Matt didn't give her a chance as he took the forms from Halstead and signed them.

Sylvie had dragged Matt back to the apartment because she told him he needed rest and already let Dawson know that if they needed him, they should call. Matt, of course, had protested the whole way home, but Sylvie was having none of it.

Once home, Brett put Matt on the couch, grabbed a pillow, and placed it on the coffee table. Knowing what Sylvie was doing, Matt took off his boot and placed his ankle on the couch right as Brett came back with ice and a towel. She put the towel on his ankle and then the ice over the towel. Brett then got back up and grabbed Matt's laptop, notebook, and a book to keep him occupied. Matt blinked at Sylvie as she continued to grab more and more things and place them around Matt. There were blankets and pillows around Matt and more coming that Matt was worried that if he didn't stop Sylvie, he would become a pillow and blanket mountain with a leg sticking out of it.

"Sylvie?" Matt asked slowly, and she only hummed. "You know my ankle is only fractured, not broken, right?" He wondered, and Sylvie nodded. The next time she came over with another pillow, Matt grabbed her wrist and pulled her down on his lap to stop her. "What's going on?"

"Why do you think something is going on?" Sylvie asked innocently, and Matt levelled her with a look, and she sighed. "The last few days with everything coming up, it's just- it's a lot. I mean, I realize that I left you for four years there. I knew what type of house you were living in, and I walked away. You lost Christie-"

"We both did," he interrupted, and she nodded, fighting back the tears.

"We both lost her, and you were ten, Matt. A ten-year-old should never have to hold his dying sister in his arms. A ten-year-old should never have to watch his sister get shot in the head. A ten-year-old should have never gone through anything you experienced, and yet it did, and you went through it alone. Sure, you had Chris initially, but you always pushed her out. You never talked about your problems with her until it was a meltdown, and you couldn't hold it in anymore. Afterwards-" she stopped and let herself calm down a bit more. "Afterwards, you were alone. Now, I guess I'm overcompensating," she said with a shrug as she picked up a pillow. Matt reached up, wiped the tears from her face, and smiled softly at her.