Chapter 18

Brett and Kelly had to leave the hospital when it was the end of visiting hours. Neither wanted to go, but they weren't allowed to stay. Shay had her car since someone from 51 dropped it off when they didn't have a call. She drove Kelly to the house to drop off his gear, and then he went for a drive around the city for a few hours.

He didn't want to go home. He couldn't leave Matt alone in a hospital room. He couldn't even walk into their shared room and look up at all the stars. Seeing the stars would remind him of how Matt shined so bright when he first saw them. He would remember what his sister said and what Gregory did to him, and then he would be pissed all over again.

He had texted Jay asking if he knew about Gregory's condition, and he told him. Kelly was pissed off that Greg would be just fine while Matt was barely even holding on. He was pissed that Matt was still paying an even higher price for Greg's crimes.

He knew being locked up would not feel like justice was served. He had abused Matt. He had forced Matt into creating something that killed hundreds of people. He forced a child- his child- to learn engineering so he could use that knowledge to carry out his vendetta. The worse of it all was the fear and guilt and needed to be perfect he instilled in Matt's mind. For the rest of Matt's life, he would always be scared, feel guilty, and hate himself when he was anything less than perfect.

Even if Greg was behind bars, Matt was the one suffering. Matt is the one that has to live with the aftermath of his actions. Matt is the one that has to live with nightmares of his past. Matt is the one that has lived with the guilt of the people who were hurt at the hands of his father.

All of that made Kelly slam his hands down on the wheel hard.

Jail wasn't enough.

Death wasn't enough.

What justice can he serve to Gregory Casey that will be equivalent to the pain and suffering he caused?

Kelly also hated that he was someone who was seen as a hero.

Gregory Casey, War Veteran.

Kelly hated that. In the eyes of the public, he was a hero. In the eyes of his son, he is the monster.

Kelly found himself sitting in the parking lot of the school bombing. There were now multiple flowers and teddy bears and pictures of everyone who was lost in that bombing.

In his line of work, he has seen this too many times, but this one hit differently. He knew the victims deserve justice just as much as Matt does, but once this hits the news- mostly tomorrow- Matt's name would be dragged through the mud.

Matthew Casey, the son of a bomber.

Reports would drag up everything they could from Greg and Matt's life. Everything would be put on blast, and he doesn't know how Matt would react. He knows that Matt will hate that his worse nightmares will be put out for everyone to read and see. The worse of it is that he is over eighteen, which means he is an adult. If he were a minor, then there are laws but an adult. That's different.

"Fuck," he cursed to himself.If Matt died then, this shouldn't be how people remember him. He is too good and precious to be dragged through the mud because of his parents.

Once again, an innocent child is paying the price of his parent's wrongdoings.

~~~

Brett was sitting on her bed as she held the north star pendant. The necklace was a gift from Christie on her tenth birthday, and Christie had the same one, so they matched. She played with the charm whenever she was nervous, happy, or sad. She loves it even more now because it's one of the last things she has of Christie.