Chapter 20

"Baby?" Kelly whispered and stepped further up and leaned over to block the light and make sure he was the first thing Matt saw when he woke up.

Matt's eyes fluttered open again and then closed again, but Matt's grip on Kelly's hand was tighter.

"Hey," Kelly whispered as a smile broke out on his face. "Baby, can you open your eyes for me?" Matt's eyes fluttered open one more time, and he blinked several times before his eyes finally stayed open, and his eyes darted around Kelly's face. Kelly was worried that Matt wouldn't remember him or that he would be scared and confused, but recognition filled Matt's eyes, and they softened. "Hey," Kelly said again with laughter and wanted nothing more than to crush him in a hug, but it was probably not the best plan given Matt's battered up.

Matt finds that he can only blink at Kelly. He is confused about what is happening around him, what is down his throat, or why he can't feel much, but he doesn't care about that. He only sees Kelly's smiling face and wants to smile back but can't manage to move his mouth at all.

"I'm going to get the doctor. Brett's here too," Kelly whispers, and at the sound of Brett, Matt unintentionally starts to panic, and his heart rate spikes, alarming the doctors and waking Brett in the process.

"Hey, calm down for me. It's just you and me," Kelly said calmly and held out a hand out of Matt's view telling everyone to stop. Dr. Rhodes looked over the monitors with an expert eye and didn't like what he saw but saw that Kelly was trying to calm Matt down and realized that Matt was either awake or something was happening in his coma.

"Look me in the eyes," Kelly whispered and smiled when Matt did and clutched onto Kelly's hand tighter. "It's a bit hard with the ventilator, but take a deep breath for me," Kelly said and watched Matt do the same. "That's it," Kelly said, and Matt continued to breathe soon, he calmed back down, and Kelly turned to see the nurses, Dr. Rhodes and Brett standing there watching them, ready to jump in at any second. He motioned for them to come, and Kelly moved out of the way, but Matt made a whining noise and held Kelly's hand tighter.

"Hey, I'm not leaving, just stepping aside so the doctors and nurses can check you over," Kelly whispered, but Matt didn't loosen his grip. "Here, how about I stand off to the side but still hold your hand," he suggested, but Matt didn't respond. Kelly moved out of Matt's view but held Matt's hand and rubbed soothing circles on the back of his hand. Dr. Rhodes walked over and scanned Matt's monitors again before leaning into Matt's view.

"Hi Matt, I'm Dr. Rhodes. I was the doctor taking care of you while you were here," he introduced with a friendly smile, but Matt only tightened his grip on Kelly and looked away. Dr. Rhodes could see that Matt was terrified. He didn't need to hear the elevated heart rate or the beeping from the ventilator telling them that Matt's breathing was becoming too rapid. Dr. Rhodes stepped out of Matt's view and wondered how he would go about checking Matt over and not throw him into a panic attack.

"Severide, mind keeping him calm while I check his heart?" He asked, and Kelly nodded and leaned over the bed so Matt could see him again.

"Dr. Rhodes is a friend of ours. He is an excellent surgeon, and right now, he will check your heart. If you feel pressure moving on your chest, it's his stethoscope, so nothing to be worried about," Kelly said, keeping one eye on Matt and the other on Dr. Rhodes's facial expression.

"His heart sounds good," Dr. Rhodes said with a smile. "I need to check his eyes," Dr. Rhodes said, and Kelly nodded and looked down at Matt.

"Did you hear that?" Kelly asked, and Matt tried to nod, but the ventilator was in the way, and he made a weird choking/gag noise. "How about blink once for yes and two for no," Kelly suggested, and Matt blinked. "Good, I need to move away for that. It will only take a few seconds," Kelly said, but Matt blinked twice, and he frowned. He looked over to Dr. Rhodes, waiting patiently for the go-ahead.