Chapter 5

Matt woke up with a startle making Kelly jerk awake as well. Kelly went to settle Matt down when Matt had jumped off of him and ran to his room. Brett and Shay watched from the kitchen, and Brett followed him when he came back into the living room and sat on the couch beside Kelly.

"How much of the fire do you know?" Matt asked as he started up his laptop.

"Not much, we have what was left of the bomb and a bunch of pictures," Kelly said, still a bit sleepy and also a bit confused.

"Okay, what did the bomb look like?" Matt asked, focusing on his laptop and clearing everything from school.

"It was a small metal cube," Kelly asked with a frown, and Matt nodded. Kelly watched as his screen went black, and then he started typing a bunch of random symbols and letters and numbers. Kelly blinked in confusion and then looked at Matt then back to the laptop.

"What are you doing?" Shay asked, walking around Matt and sitting on his other side and seeing just a bunch of letters on the screen. She looked over at Kelly, confused, and he shrugged. Matt didn't answer. He was too busy focusing on the laptop and tuned everyone out around him.

"He is going to be like that for a few hours," Brett said, walking over and dropping a burger in Matt's lap. She took a peek at his screen. "Scratch that, way more than a few hours. You are not hacking into anywhere, are you?"

"When have I ever done something illegal?" Matt asked, not looking up from his screen.

"Just making sure," Brett said with a shrug and made a motion to Shay and Kelly to come over. They walked to the kitchen, and Kelly grabbed his food and started eating. "After you are done eating, you can go if you want. Matt will be like that until whatever he is doing is done."

"He is good with computers and programming, like engineering and medicine," Shay said. "So the kid is a baby genius."

"You should've seen him when he was twelve. All knowledge about programming and stuff he learned by himself, the things at school are things he already knows," Brett pointed out with a hint of pride, but there was something else in her eyes that Kelly couldn't quite grasp.

"Defies the 'dumb blonde' saying," Shay said with a firm nod.

"I'm pretty sure that saying is just plain wrong," Kelly commented and gestured to the two paramedics.

"Aw, Severide the gentleman," Shay said, and Kelly rolled his eyes.

~~~

Shay and Kelly left after eating, and Matt barely looked up, but he did wave when they were leaving. Brett had managed to move Matt off of the couch and onto the dining room table, and she took one look at the screen before turning away and cleaning the kitchen island.

All day, Brett was doing her own thing of taking measurements of Matt's room, creating some designs and looking at decorations she could buy. She checked in with Matt periodically, and he was still fully focused on the screen, but he had a notebook on his side with some writing. She placed food by his side that she had to nudge his arm multiple times to realize that there was food and he should finally eat. One of his flaws is that whenever he is in a working mood, he forgets that eating is something he needs and often goes the entire day without eating.

Around midnight, Brett was peacefully sleeping when she was awoken by her door slamming open and Matt standing in the doorway looking sheepish.

"Sorry," he whispered, apologized and went to close the door when Brett sat up.

"Are you okay?" She asked and patted the spot beside her, and Matt walked in and sat down.

"Fine, but does someone in your house know the bombing really well? Like the details and what the police have?" Matt asked, and Brett frowned but rolled over to grab her phone.