Chapter 16

Rhodes had told them what to expect. Their years on the job had given them an idea of what to expect. Their limited knowledge of the medical field gave them an idea of what to expect. However, that did nothing to prepare them for what they saw walking into the room. There lying on the hospital bed was Matt. He had: a ventilator sticking out of his mouth, bandages wrapped around his head, a catheter sticking out of his head, his left arm in a cast, right leg elevated into the air with a wrapping around his knee and his boot.

Both Kelly and Brett had stopped in the doorway, taking it all in and all the machines and IVs he was hooked up to. It was hard for them to see him like this, and Kelly had to catch Brett before she fell. Kelly walked her over to the chairs beside Matt's bed. She took one chair while taking the chair across from her.

Both were silent as they stared at Matt. Brett had taken Matt's good hand in her own and placed her forehead on their joined hands, crying.

Kelly placed a hand on Matt's good leg and scanned all the machines and then over Matt.

"Want me to give you a minute to talk to him?" Kelly whispered, and a sudden voice made Sylvie jump up. Once she noticed Kelly was talking, she nodded, and Kelly stood up and walked out of the room. He went to the bathroom, and the second the door was closed and locked, he broke down.

He knew Matt for a short period and the kiss yesterday only confirmed his strong feelings for the younger blonde. He hated seeing the people he loved lying in a hospital bed. He hated watching them die. This felt too similar to Anna. He was waiting in the waiting room for news and sitting beside her hospital bed while she lay there unconscious. The DNR. Her heart rate flatlining. The doctors pronounced her dead. He can't handle it again, and now not even a day after their first kiss, Matt is in a hospital bed fighting for his life.

They were supposed to have their first date once this was all done. Kelly knew. He just knew that he wouldn't be able to come back if he lost Matt. Sure he and Matt hadn't even properly begun, but that doesn't change the way he feels.

He wants to date Matt. He wants to see his smile again or hear his laugh. He wants to go to sleep every night with him in his arms and wake up to his warmth pressed against him. He wants to hold and comfort him when he is scared or has a panic attack. He wants to be the person Matt leans on when he needs to cry or the person to go to when he needs cheering up. He wants to know more about Matt as a person and wants to know about his past so he can help him work through it. He wants to open up to Matt and finally let someone into his struggles. He wants Matt.

He didn't realize all of that until now, but now all he wants is Matt.

All of that only made Kelly break down even more, and he clutched onto the sink for dear life.

'He needs you to be strong right now. He needs you to be beside him,' he told himself, and Kelly leaned down to wash his face before looking at himself in the mirror.

He took a few deep breaths before standing up and walking out of the bathroom and going to get them both coffee and some pastry to eat. He knew neither of them would eat, but that doesn't mean he shouldn't at least try.

He saw the text from Shay about Otis, and at least that was lifted off his plate of worries.

~~~

"Hey," Brett whispered weakly, looking at Matt's pale face and holding his hand in both of hers. "I don't even know what to say." She let out a wet chuckle. "I used to mentally prepare myself to get ready to see either you or Chris in the hospital but this-" she took a deep breath to control her sobs. "This is something else."

"Why?" Brett asked weakly. "If you knew he would take you, why didn't you let anyone know or go with it? Why did you let him do this to you? He took away enough from you; he can't take your-" she couldn't help the sob that escaped her lips. "Can't t-take your l-life too," another sob rang through.