Chapter 14

Kelly woke up to the feeling of Matt drawing random patterns on his chest, and he internally sighed when he realized that Matt purposely stayed up. But at the same time, he loves waking up to Matt snuggled to his side.

"What are you doing?" Kelly asked, and Matt's finger froze, and he looked up to find Kelly smiling down at him.

"Nothing," Matt said with an innocent smile, and Kelly chuckled and flipped them so Matt was on his back and he was hovering over him and laughed when Matt squeaked.

"Morning," Kelly said, smiling down at Matt, and Matt smiled back. Kelly leaned down to kiss Matt, but Matt turned his head.

"Morning breath," he mumbled, and Kelly shook his head.

"I don't care, do you?" Kelly asked and grinned when Matt seemed to think about the answer genuinely. His lips were pressed together into a thin line. His eyes were darting all over the place until he finally shook his head. "You sure you seemed to be thinking hard ab-" Kelly started but was cut off by Matt pulling him down for a kiss.

They were interrupted by Kelly's alarm, and Matt groaned into the kiss, and Kelly laughed. He rolled off of Matt, turned off the alarm, and looked over to Matt, who was now sitting up.

"Going to the station today?" Kelly asked.

"Yeah, I told Hailey that I have something for them and said to meet lastest 8," Matt said and rubbed his eyes and then turned to Kelly. "You three going in one car?"

"No, I think Shay and Brett are going to see what's left of her apartment after shift and what she has to buy again," Kelly said, and Matt looked down.

"I forgot that Brett just lost everything in the bombing," Matt said with a sigh.

"Trust me with how much she loves apartment hunting and decoration. I don't think she cares all that much. Plus, most of her stuff was kept in a storage unit," Kelly said reassuringly.

"Yeah, but still," Matt said. "We should get ready." Matt got up and walked out of the bedroom, and Kelly looked around his room and wondered if it would be easier if Matt had just moved into his room. Then again, they haven't been on their first date, and they would be going backwards. Before his commitment issues came to fear him, he shook his head and got ready for work.

"Are you sure you'll be okay? I can always take an extra shift off," Kelly heard Brett say as he came downstairs to find Matt looking both annoyed and fond at the kitchen island and Shay chuckling.

"Sylvie, I'm fine. I'll be at the station and working," Matt said reassuringly for what felt like the tenth time, and Brett nodded. Matt kissed her cheek before he spun around on the stool and packed his bag as he tried to get his anxiety under control. He could feel his hands shake as he put his laptop in his bag and hoped that no one saw it. He didn't tell Sylvie about the coordinates because he didn't want to worry her or put her in a position where she might have to come face to face with Gregory. He knows that Sylvie doesn't like Gregory, but he knows she is terrified of the man underneath it. He doesn't blame her because he is scared of his father and sometimes wonders how he managed to be in the same room as him without shaking like a leaf.

"You okay?" Kelly asked as he put a hand over Matt's hands, and Matt looked down at the contact and then back up to Kelly. He didn't realize he was crying until Kelly wiped a tear away from his cheek and looked at him sympathetically. "Will you be okay today? I can talk to Bo-"

"No. I need to do this. I need to prove to him and me that I'm not scared of him," Matt said, trying for firm but the shakiness in his voice betrayed him.

"You don't need to prove that you are strong. You already did that by still being alive after everything that you endured," Kelly said softly and stepped closer.