Chapter 41

After their first time, Matt was a bit more clingy, but that was expected. He was still a tad bit shy about changing in front of Kelly, but they were getting somewhere. Kelly had also noticed the scars on Matt's back which was significantly worse than his front but was quick to clamp down on his reaction not to scare Matt.

Kelly also got a chance to watch Matt in his element. It will never cease to amaze him how brilliant Matt is. One second, Matt is sitting in a pile of wood and wires and the next, he is seated beside a miniature house that lights up. They also had to go shopping for everything Matt needed, and Matt had dragged to different stores but knew where to get good deals. Matt had tried to explain to Kelly what he was doing, but Kelly just blinked stupidly at him, and Matt shrugged.

~~~

It was now Friday, and Matt had an early morning at the school. Kelly had dropped him off before shift, and Matt ran to Dr. Scott Whitlow's office and dropped off what he had made during the week. He then had to run to meet Hallie before her exam, and he spent an hour helping calm her down before her exam. Gabby then showed up ready for her class, and when Hallie went to class, Matt stayed with Gabby until his class.

Matt had spent his class working on everything he needed for his class, and since He didn't have anything after, Matt stayed for a few extra hours.

"Mr. Matthew Casey," a voice called out to Matt, making him jump and nearly poke his eyes out with pliers. He turned around like a deer caught in headlights and saw two of Dr. Whitlow. He blinked, wondering if he had poked his eyes and saw double, but when the copies of each other walked to sit down, he realized it was two human beings.

"Fucking twins," Matt muttered to himself. "Dr. Whitlow and..."

"Deputy Assistant Director Simon Whitlow of the FBI," one of them supplied, and Matt dropped the pliers. He felt bile rise in his throat, and he looked as white as a sheet.

"You are not in trouble, Matthew," the one in the red tie said, and Matt thinks that's Dr. Whitlow.

"Um..." Matt said, looking between the two nervously.

"We have been keeping an eye on you," Director Whitlow said, only making Matt step back while his eyes widened impossibly wide. "Let me try another approach. I don't believe you are even breathing. The bomb had caught the FBI's attention and, more specifically me. The way that bomb blew up, its catastrophe caught my attention. Being FBI, also having a friend in the military, I got a run-down version of the story." Matt had to swallow down the bile at the back of his throat.

"Gregory Casey is a famous guy in the FBI," Director Whitlow continued. "Not on our top ten most wanted list, but we've been building a case against him since the bombing in Afghanistan. Then we get word that a nineteen-year-old managed to bring his entire operation and more to light in what seems like a mere few days. It's impressive." This pride was coming from the man, and Matt was confused about whether he needed a lawyer or a drink— despite being underage.

"I did some digging, and my brother here managed to catch an eye on your work, and it wasn't hard to figure out you are his son, and those bombs were your handy work," he said, and Matt ran to the sink and threw up. Both were shocked by the reaction. They expected him to tense up or demand a lawyer, not throw up.

Matt let the water run and washed his face, and he was glad he didn't eat much that morning because it's terrible enough throwing up at school, let alone a professor and an FBI agent. He stood over the sink, watching the bile wash down the drain.

"Do I need a lawyer?" Matt asked in a hoarse voice and a bit more defensive than intended.

"I'm not here to arrest you. I'm here to offer you a job," Director Whitlow said, making Matt whirl around so fast that he made himself dizzy and held onto the counter before he fell over.