Chapter 26

"Hey Severide, how's your boy?" Hermann asked when he got out of his car just as Kelly was getting out.

"He's better," Kelly replied as Shay and Brett got out on the other side. They both know that Kelly is worried, especially Brett, but there's nothing they can do about it.

"You back to work?" Hermann asked, and Kelly nodded just as a loud cheer came from down the road, and they saw Andy running over to them. Kelly laughed, rolled his eyes at his friend, and walked towards the firehouse, not expecting Andy to jump him.

"They are like five all over again," Shay commented when the two fell to the ground, and Brett rolled her eyes at the boys. They walked past them and into the house. "So you moving in with Joe and Otis?"

"Yeah, Joe will need help once Otis is discharged, and they need help with their rent anyways. I think it will be best while still looking for a place. I don't know if Matt wants to move back in with me when he is better, or I don't know," she said with a sigh, and Shay threw an arm around her shoulder.

"Still hasn't reached out?" She asked, and Brett shook her head. "How about Antonio?" She asked, changing the subject, and Brett frowned at her. "Come on. You've been spending so much time with him. How are you two? Friends with benefits? Dating? Seeing each other?"

"I am not in the right place to be seeing someone," Brett said, and Shay rolled her eyes.

"Do you like him?" She asked, and Brett nodded with a smile on her face that she tried to hide, and Shay grinned. "I know Matt is in the hospital, and the case is a lot, but you two have been with each other whenever you are off shift and are dating already. You don't have to work on a relationship towards marriage right now but don't hold yourself back from something that can be amazing."

"I don't know," she said. She didn't know why she was holding back from Antonio. Part of her is scared to jump back into a relationship, but she knows that Antonio would be the person she'll want to do it with if she were. Then again, he was recently divorced and had two kids. She makes excuses that don't make any sense and realizes that maybe she's pulling back because she's scared. Part of her feels like asking Matt if it's okay, like a single mother asking their child if it's okay to start dating again.

Kelly finds himself spending all of his shift checking his phone. He was glad to be back, but he missed being beside Matt. He groaned at how attached he grew to Matt and wondered if he was becoming too clingy. He was never like this, but he wished he was by his boy twenty-four seven to make sure he was okay. Of course, Matt didn't text or respond to Kelly's calls or texts. Kelly wonders if Matt was even aware of his phone or if he was choosing to ignore it.

The one good thing about the shift is that it was busy, and Kelly could distract himself with the calls and reports. It was both good and bad. They were called out three times at night, and everyone was exhausted by the end of the shift.

Kelly drove Shay and Brett back home while going straight to the hospital. He has his coffee and some take-out breakfast food and decides to spend the time with Matt.

Matt was still in the same position and already awake when he walked in. The nurses told him that Matt had been sleeping but woke up precisely at seven.

"Morning," Kelly said with a tired smile and placed his food on Matt's table and leaned over to kiss Matt's nose. Matt was internally excited to see Kelly was a bit worried by how tired he looked, but he couldn't get himself to speak or move and glance at Kelly.

"You don't mind if I eat, right? It's been a long first day back," Kelly said, sitting on the edge of Matt's bed. He was testing the waters to see if Matt would push him off because there wasn't much room on the bed. To his surprise, Matt moved Mr. Waddles and shifted over to give Kelly more space. Kelly had stared at Matt's profile that was still looking at the vine wall and smiled to himself. He counted that as a win.