Chapter 21

Kelly woke up the next time when Dr. Will Halstead and Dr. Connor Rhodes walked into the room, and Will was carrying what looked to be his bag. Kelly had frowned questioningly at it, and Will placed it on the chair between the beds.

"Shay dropped it off for you before she went in for work," Will explained, and Kelly smiled and knew he had to thank his best friend for that.

"Good news is the nurses told me that Matt woke up once at night and didn't panic," Rhodes said and walked over to Matt and did a quick check on his heart and the pacemaker.

"So what? Does he not need me here anymore?" Kelly asked, and Will smiled down at his shoes. Kelly had tried to sound as questioningly as possible, but there was a hint of sadness in his voice at the thought of him not being needed by Matt.

"He didn't panic because there was no one around and because he is on many meds, he can't stay up too long. It was a miracle that he stayed alert long enough to have a small conversation with you, but that might be due to his panic afterward. At the moment, you might be our only way to keep him calm and not let his heart spike or keep those stitches that keeps him from bleeding internally," Will said and saw the small glimpse of when the Squad lieutenant let his mask down, and there was relief and love before the eyes.

"Okay," Kelly said and walked over to Matt, still looking peaceful.

"Hit the call button when he wakes up," Will informed and left the room. Kelly walked over to his bag and saw that there were clothes, toiletries, a book, some snacks, drinks, and headphones. Kelly grabbed a bottle of water, walked over to Matt's bed, sat beside his legs, and sat there silently watching Matt sleep.

Matt didn't wake for another hour when he fluttered his eyes opened and saw the familiar ceiling again but this time accompanied by a ridiculously bright light that he thought he was going to heaven. He immediately closed his eyes at the light and groaned, but he remembered the tube down his throat and internally sighed. He hated it and how uncomfortable it was but knows it's there for a reason. What reason? He doesn't know. He's a bit too out of it to care about why there's a tube down his throat.

Matt was also confused about his surroundings for the first few seconds when he remembered he was in the hospital. A place where he had only gone too twice as a child. Once because Christie and Sylvie had snuck him out of the house because he wasn't breathing and apparently he had a collapsed lung. Another time was when he got beaten up at school for being too quiet and too nerdy. He had passed out in the locker room because he was still recovering from the beatings he had received from his father and had no food or water in his system for the past day. Both times, doctors and nurses were suspicious about his scars and bruises and not properly healed injuries, but Matt shrugged it off and said he was clumsy. Of course, no one believed him, but nothing could be done if he didn't say anything. Child services weren't called, but both Matt and Greg knew that child services would be knocking on their door one more time in the ER, so Greg was careful not to beat Matt to the point of an ER visit.

That memory had brought up Christie again, and Matt squeezed his eyes shut as he felt the tears roll down his face. He hates that Christie will forever be a painful memory. He hates that she is a painful memory. She is his older sister. She shouldn't be someone Matt looks back on and cries or actively shuts the memory down. He should be able to look back on her and smile or laugh at the memory. He hates that his mind brings up his mother and father whenever Christie comes to mind. He hates that he can still hear the yelling. He hates that he can still see the slight tremble in Christie as she stood in front of him when his mom pulled out the gun. He hates that he can see and hear the gunshot. He can still feel the silence and tension that followed. He can still see in slow motion as the bullet hit her, and she stumbled back straight into him, and they both fell to the ground. He can still smell the blood. He can still see the blood on his hands and clothes. All of it. Worse of all was when he had to go back into the house. It smelt of antiseptic and bleach. Much like the smell, he is smelling right now.