Chapter 29

"How does that feel?" Will asked once Matt's cast was taken off and the brace was put on.

"Lighter," Matt mumbled and hesitantly moved his injured arm but quickly stopped when pain shot through it.

"Yeah, your arm will be in a sling, and you will be in a wheelchair," Will said, grabbing the sling and putting it around Matt. "How're the lungs feeling?"

"Fine," Matt said. They removed the nasal cannula before taking off the cast, and he doesn't feel like he has to take deeper breaths. He feels fine.

"How about your head?" Will asked, and Matt nodded. "Well, the good thing is no real damage has been done to your brain, but you will be getting migraines from time to time and if that happens, make another appointment, and we will go from there." Matt gave him a thumbs-up, and Will nodded and got up and left the room.

"You said you will be leaving in a few days, but you're leaving today," Kelly said, walking back to Matt's side.

"No, I have to see Dr. Charles before I finally leave," Matt muttered and, leaning back on the bed grabbing Mr. Cuddles close to his chest.

"Sleepy?" Kelly asked when Matt's eyes fluttered close.

"No, just comfy," Matt mumbled and opened his eyes to smile at Kelly. Kelly chuckled and leaned down to kiss Matt's nose. Matt had followed the movement with his eyes and had to cross his eyes.

"I texted Shay, and we don't have a bedroom on the first floor, but we are setting up the couch for you. It's a pull-out, so it's the size of a queen-sized bed," Kelly informed Matt. He wanted to know if Kelly would be there with him but didn't know how to ask without sounding too needy and clingy.

"You have a shift tomorrow, right?" Matt asked, and Kelly nodded.

"I can take it off to help you on your first day back," Kelly suggested, and Matt shook his head.

"Go to work. I'll be fine," Matt said, and Kelly nodded.

"Hey," Dr. Charles said, walking in, and Matt looked over and sat up in the bed. "Can we have this conversation privately?" Matt nodded and picked up the envelope, and handed it to Kelly.

"It's everything I know," Matt said, and Kelly looked down, confused and saw it was the letter from his mom.

"You want me to read?" Kelly asked, and Matt nodded.

"It's better than me having to re-explain every little detail," Matt said with a shrug as if it didn't mean that much, but it does. This little action proves to Kelly that Matt trusts him enough to be willing to let him into his past and into his family business which was the primary source of his trauma.

"I love you," Kelly said and leaned in to kiss Matt's forehead.

"Love you," Matt replied and watched as Kelly walked out of the room.

"Glad to see you so happy," Dr. Charles said as he took a seat in the chair beside Matt's bed.

"Thanks," Matt said and looked down at his lap.

"Excited to leave?" Dr. Charles asked, and Matt nodded. "Look, I know therapy might be daunting, but it can help you. I've been made aware of your sleeping tendencies. I can say that they sound like night terrors, which are scary."

"I wouldn't know," Matt whispered, still looking down at his lap.

"Well, that may be true, but what if you start sleepwalking and end up somewhere you don't know. It can be scary when you're not made aware of what's going on at night," Dr. Charles said, and Matt lifted one hand to play with the bottom of his lip. "Why do you hate therapy so much? You are avoiding it, but you don't seem to be in denial of your mental stability. So what is it about?"