Chapter 38

As Matt was cooking, he would glance over to Kelly and slowly, he watched as Kelly's mood began to drop along with a few Truck members. Matt frowned and wondered why until he looked at Shay, who had the same sombre expression, and it hit him.

The first holiday after losing a loved one.

Matt checked on Brett, who seemed too busy with the food to realize that Darden was not here or at least she tried to distract herself with it. That, however, didn't stop Matt from washing his hands and hugging Brett. She was surprised, but when she turned to Matt, he smiled sympathetically at her, and she realized that he had picked up on the mood and reasoning.

"I'm fine," she whispered, and Matt nodded and kissed her cheek. "Thanks," she said.

"Love you," he said and then walked over to Shay, standing at the fridge, looking at it but not looking at it. "Hey," he said, catching her attention, and she turned around and smiled at him, trying to hide her feelings.

"Hey, birthday boy," she said happily, and Matt rolled his eyes.

"You okay?" He asked, and she dropped the act and nodded.

"I'll be fine, I miss him a hell of a lot, but I'll be fine," she said, but Matt continued to stare at her as if not believing her. "I have Brett and 51."

"You sure?" Matt asked, and she smiled and nodded and pulled him in for a hug.

"I'm glad Kelly has you in his life, and I'm glad you're in mine as well," Shay whispered, and Matt hugged back.

"So am I," he said. "You sure you okay?" Matt asked when they pulled away, and she laughed and nodded.

"Go," she said, and he looked at her one more time before turning around and not finding Kelly sitting there anymore. He walked to his office, but he wasn't there either, so he walked out to the apparatus and didn't find Kelly there. However, he noticed a ladder against the wall and decided maybe Kelly went up to the roof. He walked over and started climbing the ladder, and when he poked his head up, he saw Kelly sitting on a lawn chair with a cigar in hand, looking over the city.

"Hey," Matt said, climbing over and walking over to Kelly.

"Hey, how did you know I'll be up here?" Kelly asked, smiling as Matt came and sat down on the chair beside him.

"Went looking for you and noticed the ladder," Matt replied, looking at Kelly. Kelly was about to put his cigar out, but Matt stopped him. "Don't. I don't mind," Matt said.

"Brett will kill me if you go back and smell like smoke," Kelly commented, and Matt shrugged.

"Won't be the first," he said, and Kelly raised his eyebrows.

"Mom was a smoker, cigarettes more, though," Matt said and leaned back in his chair but still looking at Kelly. "Plus, it's not like I'm smoking it."

"You sure?" Kelly asked, and Matt nodded.

"Although you are not kissing me with the smoke breath," he joked, earning him an eye roll. He pulled out a pack of gum and shook it in his hands before putting it back in his pocket.

"Good," Matt said and looked out to the night sky. Sure he came to check on Kelly, but he knows him enough not to push him and let him talk.

"You came because of Andy," Kelly said, and Matt nodded and turned to look at him. "How did you handle it?"

"Losing Christie?" Matt asked, and Kelly nodded. "You're asking the wrong person. I shut down. I had to, or else I couldn't carry on, given everything else happening. But don't you dare do that."