Epilogue

Looking back on his life now, Matt has a love-hate relationship with it. His past will forever haunt him no matter how much therapy he goes and he has come to terms with that now. He will forever hate the abuse inflicted on him, but part of him knew that he wouldn't be where he is today if he had a normal childhood.

At the age of twenty-two, Matt is on a special task force with the FBI pushing his talents and knowledge of everything engineering to the limit. It was a hard road to adjust to life as an FBI agent, but one that he quickly adapted to after the first few challenging months. He never thought that he loved his job, especially since it's law enforcement, but he does. He has also been going out more on the field now and not just stuck in his little lab at home base. He can't talk about work much to anyone because everything is classified, which sucks about his job, but coming home to find Kelly on the couch or in the bed is enough for the day's event to melt away.

He and Kelly had moved into a loft by themselves a year ago. They kept the decoration simple, but photos of the two and their friends around the loft make it a little homier. Matt also has his own office for when he has to take work home, and there's a lock on the door that he doesn't use since he trusts Kelly not to wander there. He only locks his office when they have guests over.

Their relationship was hard to navigate when Matt first started the new job because they both worked long hours, and sometimes they would only see each other when one was coming home, and the other was leaving. It sucked, but it only happened once or twice a month. It got worse when Matt needed to travel for his job and was out of the country for a month. Kelly hated that he didn't know where he was going, and Matt couldn't talk much about the details. However, they both worked hard on the relationship, found a way to work around their long workdays, and made time for each other.

Matt and his father's relationship had grown strong over the years, and now he is more involved with Matt's life and even gets along with Kelly. It took a bit longer to get Kelly to stop glaring at him and being so standoffish, but once they got past that, Kelly saw that although he and Gregory look alike, nothing else about it was the same. They bonded over hockey first which scared Matt when it first happened because they supported different teams, and he sat there watching a debate about which one was better for nearly an hour. So with his father, they made up for the lost time, but he can't say the same with his mother.

They have gotten to the point where they can be in the same room for an extended period and hold a conversation but not anywhere close to a healthy relationship. Matt doesn't think he can ever fully forgive Nancy for taking away the person he loves most in the world or for treating Christie so bad for something that wasn't even her fault. No matter how much he tries not to, he just can't. Part of him will always see her as the person who killed Christie. But at least now they talk a bit, and it's not as awkward or tension-filled as before. However, Sylvie refuses to speak to Nancy no matter what, which Matt accepts and doesn't push her to get along. Sylvie will, however, talk to Matthew if they ever cross paths, so Matt counts that as a win. Shay had been confused been polite to both but made no effort to do anything beyond that.

Matt has also met Benny once, and that was an awkward conversation when he realized 'Matty' wasn't a girl. Matt had been nervous the entire time, mainly because he had just opened his door, and there Benny stood asking for Kelly and a place to stay. It was a weird few hours as Kelly was on shift, and Matt had the day off, so Matt had to entertain Benny for a few hours until Kelly was back. Most of the conversation was glaring and asking about his job, which didn't leave much for time-consuming discussion. Matt tried to ask about Kelly's childhood, but Matt was pretty sure he knew more about Kelly's childhood than his father. Matt felt Benny wasn't his biggest fan, but Kelly just shrugged and said he didn't care when he brought this up to Kelly. Matt knew that was a lie, or at least part of it was but went along with it knowing Benny was a touchy subject for Kelly.