Chapter 28

They arrived back in Chicago, and all went home to get a good night's rest.

They were up and at the station the following day, starting to comb through all the evidence.

~~~

"MY NAME IS MATTHEW CASEY, AND I WANT TO TALK TO THE DETECTIVES ON THE CASE OF THE TWO BOMBINGS." A guy in jeans and a grey hoodie had yelled, stepping into the 21st district. All the cops had pulled out their guns and pointed them at him once they got a look at who he was. Everyone knew his face. Every cop was on high alert for Gregory Casey and his twin. The chaos that Gregory Casey has caused had every cop wanting to throw him in jail. The shooting at the riverwalk had killed two patrol cops, and the gang shooting had killed many more.

Platt was standing in her usual spot behind the desk and watching the twin. She reached for the phone and called up to Voight's office.

"You might want to come down here. The twin is here," she said and hung up. Matthew had raised his hands in the air in surrender and stared at all the cops hoping that this went as planned. "Search him," she said, and the two closest patrolmen walked up to do a quick search of Matthew. He was clean and had nothing on him, not even a phone or wallet.

"Bring him up to the interrogation room," Voight said, standing at the top of the stairs, and the two patrolmen cuffed him and walked him to the interrogation room. The other cops had not lowered their guns and followed their every movement with their weapons.

"Did he seriously just break out of prison to walk into a police station?" Adam asked when Voight came back upstairs.

"This has got to be some trap they concocted," Hailey said, and Kim nodded.

"Let him sew for now. Someone get a hold of Matt," Voight said.

"Sir, last time we brought up the case to him, Matt clamped up and retreated to himself. He didn't talk for nearly three weeks," Hailey said, really not wanting to cause Matt any more trauma.

"I feel for the kid I do, but he is the only one that can tell us what is going on in their heads. He got us the name and the address. I don't know why he didn't give us that before, but he knows more than he is telling us," Voight said and turned to walk into his office, ending the conversation.

"Severide did mention that he is talking now, getting better," Adam said.

"He was getting better the last time we talked to him, and we knocked him down a few steps," Kevin pointed out.

"Did Severide say how Matt got the name and address?" Antonio asked, and Jay pulled out his phone.

"Just got the picture of a screen that Matt typed out with the name and address. I haven't heard from him since," Jay said.

"Fucking great," Adam muttered and sat down, getting back to work. Jay and Hailey looked at each other, and Hailey sighed. She grabbed her coat, and Jay did the same, and the two made their way out of the station.

"For the record, I hate this," Hailey said while driving to the hospital.

"I don't think any of us do," Jay replied, looking over at her before focusing on the road. He reached over and took her hand in his.

"Will told me he is getting better, and they can release him soon," Jay said, and Hailey only nodded. Jay doesn't know the details of his injuries but only knows if Matt was close to dying if he pulled through since Matt's life was important to the charges on Gregory Casey.

"Think Severide would even let us see him? After Andy's death yesterday, I don't know how willing he is to let us talk to him again," Hailey said, and Jay sighed. They knew getting information from Matt would be the more accessible part, but getting to Matt was hard because Kelly was present.