Nineteen

I had given Feyre the bow and quiver I had taken from the armory and donned the sword on my back with the sheath I had also stolen— maybe I should just leave this place and become a thief, stealing jewelry and weapons.

    The two of us had left the Manor as if we were just going on a walk, though I'm sure I at least drew a bit of attention with the finely polished sword strapped to my back. But no one had stopped us, not even a warning. It was suspicious.

    When we entered the woods I was overwhelmed by the silence. I could feel the creatures everywhere, yep there was not even a whisper. At one point as we passed a lake I could have sworn I saw heads pop out of the water, yet when I looked back there was nothing there. Somehow the Western woods were less scary at night.

    Feyre had killed a chicken on the way; following Luciens instructions precisely. We had brought the supplies we needed, but we seemed to underestimate the time it would take to find a birch forest.

    The forest was ancient— the trees seemed to have sunk into themselves over the years. The moss-covered ground swallowed all sound and the tree bark was peeling from the trees so much I wounded how the ground wasn't littered with it.

    I wanted to be as alert as possible, but it was becoming increasingly harder throughout our journey in the woods as I noticed more and more strange things.

Thank the Cauldron, we were eventually engulfed in a lovely birch forest, a stark comparison to the rest of the forest. The only problem was, by the time we had finally found our way there it was almost sunset.

    I felt safer in the night, but I had a feeling my sister did not share the same feeling.

    We came to  a glen of young skinny birch trees— as per Lucien's instructions. Feyre began stalking around to search for danger as I planned to escape plan after escape plan should the situation turn sour. I made sure there was nothing that could block the escape routes.

    We had no idea what we would face or what the Suriel even looked like, for all we knew the Suriel could look High Fae or human. We had to be prepared for anything.

    As Feyre and I finished our jobs we began building our trap.

─── · 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

    My sister and I had taken to the trees. We both sat on opposite sides of the grove, still having a clear view of each other and our surroundings. Yet, if anyone were looking from the ground we'd be practically invisible.

    We had waited. And waited. And waited some more. But the Suriel was deciding to be stubborn.

    My stomach began to rumble. I had given Feyre the last bit of food we hadn't eaten on our journey here— but she didn't need to know that. I had gone longer without food and still put up a fight. This was nothing.

    As I waited I let my thoughts consume me for a while. I wondered if Lucy and Timmy got tired of eternal spring. I'd been here for almost a week and I was already tired of it. But I could see Feyre warming to them and their nature, and I couldn't help but feel lonely here. I knew Feyre would always be there for me when I needed her. But would she still be there when I didn't? Feyre would never be a constant in my life, people were fickle like that. But I'd come to terms with it a long time ago after...

    I didn't want to entertain the thought.

    I was meant to stay in Tamlins manor with my sister forever. The forever part never really hit me until that moment.

    I would never see Astrid or Flynn again— my two friends who had been with me through thick and thin. My two friends had stayed with me in my triumphs and my grief. I'd never see them again.