Chapter 44

Chapter 44

'Urgh, now I'm done' Gary groans, throwing the pizza crust into the box and slouching down on the couch.

The girls have left now after eating their fair share of the takeaway we order, they left after the first film. Now me, Kimberley, Gary and me mam are twenty minutes into the next film we decided to watch. 50 first dates.

After little convincing, me mam put it on because it's, and I quote, "What yous two were like last week" referring to me being unable to remember me and Kimberley getting back together.

Since we started the film, Gary has been eating the leftovers, but I guess he has finally hit a wall and reached his limit.

'It's about time greedy guts' Mam shakes her head, quickly closing all the boxes and stacking them into two neat piles.

'Joan, leave them' Kimberley tries, 'I'll take them out to the bin later.'

'I'd argue and do it anyway, but I don't know where the key is for the back door' Mam explains, seemingly guilt ridden, 'I'll just take them into the kitchen and put them by the door'

Before Kim can reply, mam is already out of the room carrying the first stack of pizza boxes. There is a stack still on the floor, so it is clearly gunna take her two trips, seen as no one is planning on helping her.

I know it may seem cruel to people who don't really understand, us not helping me mam in any way, but me mam considers it cruel when we do help her, leaving her with nothing to do later on. She hates having nothing to do, even if she has done all her chores and ran her errands, she makes herself busy by shopping or cooking.

There was even one time, during the summer holidays, when me and Gary had helped with a few of her jobs she was left with nothing to do for the rest of the afternoon until she had to cook our tea. She went out and bought a load of wool and knitting needles, and sat there aimlessly knitting for the rest of the afternoon, only to throw it in the bin the next day.

Even Kimberley has picked up me mam's constant need to be busy, she's done multiple things to try and help her relax, such as lending her a few books to read, buying puzzle books for her, or giving her some recipes to try out for dinner. Eventually she gave up and started subtly mentioning little jobs that need to be done around the house, or noting down items that she needs to buy next time we go shopping and leaving it in clear view so mam can spot it and dash out for them if she is desperate for something to do.

That's why I'm confused as to why Kimberley doesn't just tell her where the back door keys are. Not even I can tell me mam where they are, so she can take everything out now, instead of Kimberley doing it later. Because I don't even know where she puts them, or why she hides them.

Mam returns after her second trip to the kitchen, falling back onto the couch, beside Gary, with an exaggerated sigh of boredom.

Gary glances over to me and Kimberley with a knowing smirk as we continue to watch the film in peace.

*****

During the next half hour, I have noticed Kimberley awkwardly twisting and looking quite uncomfortable as she rubs her stomach.

Not wanting mam and Gary to get involved, I shuffle closer, putting my arm around her shoulder and pulling her into me so her back is resting against my front, and I am resting against the arm of the couch.

'Are you okay?' I whisper in her ear, not wanting the others to hear.

She doesn't reply, she just shuffles about a little, I'm assuming she is trying to get comfortable. She relaxes against me, her head falling back onto my shoulder. I twist my neck so I can look at her, her eyes closed and she still seems a little distressed.