Chapter 20

Chapter 20

'Who are we waiting for?' Nic asks as she throws her phone into her bag and sits down beside Kim.

The girls have all spent the day here, since Sarah and Nicola just happened to have their outfits in Sarah's car, ready for tonight. We all decided to get ready almost an hour ago, but the three of us are still waiting for Sarah and Nadine to join us downstairs.

'Bet you it's Sarah. It's always Sarah.' Kimberley chuckles, while shaking her head.

'Yeah, I'm not willing to bet against those odds'

Our minor giggles soon stop when we hear Sarah upstairs:

'For Christ's sake Nadine!' this is followed by a slamming sound and hasty footsteps on the stairs.

Sarah soon appears in the doorway, receiving three concerned faces staring back at her.

'All hands on deck girls, Nadine fell asleep after doing her makeup; she isn't ready and doesn't have anything to wear.'

We all stand up and make our way upstairs. We walk into her room to see Nadine stood by the mirror, her hair in a state and her mascara spread across her face and the pillow.

'And this is before we've even had a drink?' I question amused.

'Sorry girls'

'Battle stations, Ladies' Nic giggles, quickly leaving the room, along with Kimberley.

Sarah pulls Nadine over to the dressing table in the corner and begins to drag a brush through her knotted hair. I grab some wipes from the bathroom and spin Nadine around to face me; I gently wipe the smudged makeup off her face. Nicola returns with her bag of makeup and I move out of the way while she works her magic.

Ten minutes have passed and Nadine is almost ready, she just needs something to wear, but Sarah said that Kimberley is probably sorting that out. Right on queue, she comes in with a few dresses slung over her arm and quickly lays them out on the bed.

'These are the ones you were stuck between this morning Nads, washed and dried. Now, choose one.'

Nadine looks at each of them for a while, her finger points at each one individually as she struggles to make up her mind.

'Oh come on!' Kimberley groans, turning to us 'Girls say the colour yous think she should wear. 1 2...'

'Pink!' the three of us say without hesitation.

'Pink it is' Nadine shrugs as the dress is thrown at her and we all leave to let her get changed.

*****

We have been at the club for over an hour now, the drinks are flowing smoothly, mostly down to Sarah taking full advantage of Nadine paying for them because she lost that bet. I smile as I look down at Kim's hand gently resting on my thigh. Kimberley and I have had to lay low tonight, because nobody knows we're together.

As Sarah comes dancing over with another tray of shots, she cackles at the horrified Nadine sat on the end of the booth.

'Sarah! You have to be takin' the piss!' Nadine shouts over the music.

'Hey a bet's a bet Nads. Don't get all narky with me just because you lost' Sarah laughs.

'Every drink you buy takes more out of my bank! You're causing a drought on my bank account!' Nadine groans, struggling to hide her smile effectively.

'Whatever, Drama queen! Just because you lost' she chants as she downs a shot, 'Come on, let's dance!'

Waiting for Nicola and Nadine to have theirs, and she soon drags them off.