Chapter 15

Chapter 15

The whole car journey home I couldn't wipe the smile off my face. I have my family back. I feel giddy with happiness.

When we get home Kimberley goes into the living room, sitting down on the sofa. I sit down next to her, curling my legs up beside me, so I subtly lean closer to her.

'You okay now babe?' I know she is only referring to the fact that I was so nervous about seeing my mam and Gary.

'Yeah I'm great' I smile at her as I snuggle into her side.

'Told you they'd understand' she said as she wrapped her arm around my shoulder.

'I know you did and thanks for being there for Gary... he told me about when he stayed over.' I say, looking up at her, she smiles at me and my heart flutters.

I move out of her arms and move so I am sat on my knee looking into her eyes, and she stares back with a questioning look. I slowly lean forward, bringing my hand to the back of her neck.

'You've always been so perfect' I whisper, just before our lips connect.

This time I am aware of why I am doing this. I know she must actually care, and doesn't just feel guilty. But even if she only cares about me as a friend, the love for her inside me is growing more every minute I am with her.

She doesn't return the kiss at first and I feel fear instantly kick in, until she soon begins to kiss me back. I try to deepen the kiss, but as I do so, she pulls away suddenly, causing me to do the same out of embarrassment.

'Ch-Chez... I... um...' I avoid her eyes as she stumbles with her words.

'Forget it. I'm sorry, Kim' I whisper as I stand up and rush out of the room, running upstairs and into Justin's old room.

She clearly doesn't want this. I had my chance to be happy with her two years ago. But I just had to ruin that didn't I. And now I have probably ruined the chance of us just being friends.

Kimberley's P.O.V

I am frozen in my seat, in shock about what just happened.

She is definitely in a better frame of mind now. I know she is in control of her emotions and understands her actions. I can tell by the way she has been recently. So why did she still kiss me? More confusingly, why did I stop her?

I sit forward and put my head in my hands, sighing to myself. I know why I stopped it. I still don't believe that she could ever, really feel that way about me and it feels too rushed. She broke my heart when she went to Ashley and I guess I'm having trust issues.

I soon find myself walking upstairs after her. I walk into my room, where we have both been sleeping since I pulled her out of that bath and brought her back here. The room is empty, so I quickly glance into the en suite before walking back out into the hallway. I stand still, quietly, until I hear hushed noises coming from Justin's old room.

I slowly open the door and poke my head inside, I see her curled up on the bed, lightly sobbing.

'Cheryl?' I whisper through the silence, walking into the room. She sits up straight, defensively, when she hears my voice.

'It's fine Kimberley. It was stupid and I shouldn't have done it' she mutters, avoiding my eyes.

'Chez, please don't say that if you don't mean it' I say as I sit down next to her, worried that she might be serious.

She looks at me, apprehensively, before taking a deep breath and looking down to the floor before speaking.

'It was stupid and I shouldn't have done it...' I sigh and close my eyes, I feel like I've just been punched in the stomach, 'only because I know you didn't want me to.' She continues, I open my eyes and look at her to see her looking back, 'But I can't help it Kim... like I said... I still love you. I don't think I ever stopped.'