Chapter 22

Chapter 22

‘No she isn’t. What do you want?’ I reply bluntly.

So this is the piece of Sh!t that tried to hurt my Kimba. I take another look at him, noticing that he is average height, a little taller than me; he is quite slim, not very muscular. A dark shaved haircut, slightly outgrown.

‘Well, last night, we agreed to meet at the small cafe down the road.’ Is he for real? ‘I’ve been waiting there for twenty minutes... so’

‘So, take the hint’ I spit, slamming the door in his face.

I go to walk back into the kitchen, when I hear a key turning in the lock, making me turn back around.

‘How did you open that door?!’ I shout, as he casually walks in.

He holds up a bunch of keys, with a key ring that is unmistakably Kimberley’s, a picture of her sisters, Adam and herself, all gathered around her dad, smiling.

‘Sorry, I was just making sure I got the right house.’ he says, closing the door behind him. ‘She said if she was late, I should just come around. But I saw the car up the drive and thought I’d just knock, so I didn’t startle her or anything.’

‘But... she said she lost them?’ I mutter, mostly to myself.

‘I’m sorry, but who are you?’ he asks, ‘Do you live with her?’

‘Yes’ I say, sharply.

I don’t want to sound big headed here, but where has this guy been for the past four years? We were the winners of popstar: the rivals, beating 3 world records the minute we got to number one. We had a big successful tour and several number ones, then this jerk turns up out of nowhere with no idea who we are, saying he knows Kimberley and was asked to come here, but Kimberley is telling me a completely different story.

‘Oh I see. Well could you tell Kimberley that I dropped by?’ He opens the door before turning back and pulling a phone out of his pocket. ‘Could you give this back to her? She left it yesterday’

I take the phone form him and he smiles at me again before jogging down the steps. I quickly look down at the phone, checking the background, and I know it is unmistakably Kimberley’s. That’s it, I need answers.

‘Ben!’ I step out of the house and call him back.

As he turns, I signal him back and he is soon jogging back up the steps.

‘Do you, erm... want to come in for a bit? I’m just a little confused about last night’ I look up at him, watching his reaction.

‘Sure’ he nods cooperatively.

I step to the side for him to go in the house. We walk into the kitchen and we sit at the table, sat opposite each other. He drums his fingers on the table for a few seconds as we sit in an awkward silence, before I speak up.

‘So did Kimberley spend the night with you?’ I ask, simply because I had no idea where to start.

‘Yeah, I met her in a club last night; she seemed to be on her own so I bought her a drink. You know, she’s gorgeous and really easy to talk to.’

I’ve can’t argue with him there.

*****

‘So how did you know where she lives?’ I ask, my eyes narrowing.

‘I walked her home; she was a little worse for wear. I didn’t walk her to the door; I waited across the road for her to get in though. She knocked a few times and I started to walk over to her to give her the key, but then she just climbed through the window.’