Chapter 37

Chapter 37

She tries to push herself up and I rush to her side to help her, but as soon as I put my arm around her, her own arms lock around my waist and her head is resting on my chest, eyes closed.

I kiss the top of her head as I wrap my arms around her, holding her close to me until she lets go and moves away.

'I remember' she whispers, 'I'm sorry for telling you to leave'

'It's fine baby, I understand why you wanted me to go'

'Do you remember anything else chez?' Gary asks and Cheryl turns to look at him, 'You said you remembered up to the day in court'

'Yeah... Ashley is in prison for ten years.' She replies, before looking straight ahead in deep thought, 'I think I remember everything now... apart from the accident'

'What's the last thing you remember now?' Sarah asks.

'We were in the restaurant, just on the outskirts of London... I can't think of the name though'

'Well, seems like she's up to date to me' Nicola smiles, looking around for confirmation and we all agree.

'I'm not up to date' Cheryl argues, sounding suddenly pissed off, 'I've just told you I can't remember the accident!' we can all hear the anger building up as her voice raises. 'Can yous tell me what happened now?'

'I'm afraid we can't hun' Nadine smiles sadly.

'Why not!' Cheryl snaps, making Nadine jump as her shouts are aimed at her. 'I deserve to know what happened! I don't even know why I am in here!'

'You hit your head in the accident' Justin says, trying to be helpful by stating the obvious.

'I know I hit my head, you fucking dickhead!'

'Hey!' Joan snaps, 'we can't tell you what happened because you have to remember for yourself! So don't go snapping at everyone when they are just trying to help you!'

We are all taken aback by Cheryls sudden temper, but Joan always knows how to handle her daughter and I find it pretty impressive.

'You said you didn't know why you were in here, and Justin just told you. If you already knew, then why did you bother commenting and saying that you didn't?' Joan continues.

Cheryl has shrunk back down now, her tail tucked between her legs, proving that you're never too old to be told off and shown up by your mother.

An awkward silence follows, no one knowing what to say and it lasts for a good few minutes.

'Hey, we'll have to tell Hilary about what's going on!' Nicola says, sounding appalled by the fact that no one has kept her informed.

'Oh sh!t yeah' Sarah agrees, pulling her phone from her pocket.

'She's out of the country isn't she? She probably doesn't even know what's happening.' I point out.

'She knows we were in an accident and that Cheryl's in hospital' Nadine informs us, causing Sarah to look at her, 'she rang me the other day to check on us... I did tell yous'

'No you didn't' Sarah argues, she clearly doesn't have much patience at the minute.

'I did, we were on ou-'

'No Nads...' Nicola interrupts, getting everyones attention, 'I was the only one there, we were getting Sarah and Kim something to eat'

We can see realisation dawns on Nadine's face, soon replaced with an apologetic look as she chews her lip.

'Oh yeah, sorry girls'

'It's fine' Sarah shrugs dismissively, clearly calmer than seconds ago, 'What did Hil say?'

'Well, she was asking about Cheryl and then how we were all doing, and then she said to call her when we know more about Cheryl's condition.' Nadine explains, 'But she said for the time being, she will clear our schedule'

'How much more time off can you get away with?' Gary asks incredulously.

'Yeah, you're fans are probably losing it!' Justin chuckles.

'I'll go and ring Hilary now, update her on what's happening' Sarah mumbles to herself as she goes into the en suite, looking down at her phone.

'Ring Beth too' Nadine says, pulling her own phone out as she follows Sarah.

I look down at Cheryl, still sat in the middle of the massive bed. I know she is probably feeling down, or like she is to blame for the band having more time off, but she isn't the cause. No matter how many people try convincing me otherwise, this is still all my fault for causing the crash.

She is avoiding everyone's eyes after being bollocked by her mum, instead looking down at her hands, which she is currently fiddling with by her stomach.

I take a seat beside her bed, silently reaching forward, sliding my hand between hers and taking hold of one. Her eyes dart in my direction, softening when she sees it is my hand and tightening her grip as I place a single kiss on her knuckles.

'Nic come here, we need your memory' we hear Sarah shout from the en suite, pulling us out of our little moment.

'What are you gunna do? Take my brain and add it to yours?' Nic shouts back sarcastically, 'I'm sure there would be plenty of room in that head of yours but we're not compatible Sarah it would never work.'

'Oh shut up ginger!' Sarah says, popping her head out the doorway, 'you have a better memory than us, you'll remember more of what the doctor said.'

'Just what are you basing my memory measurements on?' Nic asks as she reluctantly stands up.

'How you manage to remember all of our dance routines.' Sarah smiles angelically, batting her eyelashes as Nicola reaches her and pushes her head back into the bathroom.