Chapter 3

Back at the cave, I put away the newly bought items and make a fire for Aria and myself to warm our chilly limbs. Aria gets ready for a good night's sleep by drawing a circle with her own fire and patting the sparks down with her paws. As soon as she's done, I lean my back against her stomach and enjoy her warmth that I can feel through my jacket.

It's moments like these that remind me that I am forever grateful for Aria. Before her, I've never had a real home. Actually, I have only ever felt at home when I'm with her, but never in a place.

I poke through the fire's incandescent centre with a metal stick, stirring it back to life to further grant us its light and heat. I start to dwell back on memories, remembering the day I met Aria like it was yesterday.

12 years ago

I am getting tired of this. This place has never felt like home and I don't belong here. The people here certainly don't act like I do.

I have tried to get along with this new family, I really have. But all my life, I've been transferred from one family to the next. All different, but the same nonetheless. They all have one thing in common: they're not my family. Some of them made that pretty obvious, others welcomed me into their homes like I was their long-lost child.

But soon enough, every each one of them realised that they had invited a pretty messed up girl into their houses. I don't blame them. I blame myself. I get confused with my thoughts sometimes, so much so, that I feel lost and alone. It's gotten to the point that life doesn't seem all that pleasant any more.

A ten-year-old shouldn't feel this way, I know, that's why I decided to make a change.

I take a deep breath, in through the nose and out of my mouth, calming my nerves. It's past midnight and everyone should be asleep. I quickly change into warmer clothes and grab my backpack, which I've already packed with everything necessary: food, water, clothes, money, map, knifes.

As gently as I can manage, I step down the stairs from my room to the kitchen, whilst avoiding the steps that creak. I hesitate a moment, taking in the warm atmosphere of this house. Out of all of them, this home has been my favourite. But I am not going to stay. Not any more. I decide to exit via the backdoor and after a few steps away from the house, I begin to run. No specific direction, just running. Fleeing. From my past and the person I have been up until now.

I end up at the docks of this relatively small island. There's only one ship and there are no men to be seen anywhere, so I use the darkness – and my small figure – to my advantage and step onto the boat. I find a stack of boxes and barrels hidden underneath a dusty blanket and decide to squeeze myself in between them and hope for the best.

I can hear my heart pumping so fast, I fear it might jump out of my chest. And even though I still feel jittery and anxious, I must have fallen asleep in between taking deep breaths because the last thing I remember is the wooden smell and the soothing rocking movement of the boat.

With a jolt, I wake up and gasp. I can hear waves crashing against the boat's walls and can feel their strength shoving the boat from one side to the other. But more importantly, I hear voices. If I am correct, I count around ten men. Oh my Thor, what have I gotten myself into. Me against ten grown men? No way.

Several minutes go by, in which I try to reason with myself.

This is good. I squeeze my own thumbs and ball my hands into fists. It means that they haven't found me, yet.

"Foreign ship approaching from east, captain." I gasp again as I suddenly realise that the voice is coming straight from ahead of me. They must only be a few feet away. Through the blanket, I can see two shadows moving against the sunlight. One is larger than the other and carries more confidence in their walk. I suppose that's the captain.