Chapter 32

Hiccup

"Aw, c'mon. This is funny?!" She wiggles her eyebrows separately and laughs her addictive, warm laughter. If I could listen to that sound my entire life, I would have nothing against that. I try to hide my smile, but I fail miserably. She's too adorable.

"I can see that smile, y'know," Vara chirps – the amusement apparent in her brightly shimmering hazel eyes. She begins to walk backwards to the cliff's edge and the closer she gets, the more the laughter fades from my face and I narrow my eyes in question.

But before I can comment on her strange behaviour, she lets herself fall down backwards. I instinctively rush forward and yell her name but I am too slow. Shit, shit, shit.

That sound reaches my ears again and even though I don't realise what's happening, it immediately calms me down. There, right in front of me, Vara is lying on Aria's back and giggles like a little girl at my very obvious panic. Aria was waiting to catch Vara – camouflaged, of course, so I wouldn't see her.

"Ha, ha, ha," I draw out dryly whilst my heartbeat returns to a normal rhythm again. This woman can drive me crazy.

She sits up and pouts, mocking me with a baby-voice, "Did I worry the little Chief?"

I raise my eyebrows at the subtle challenging undertone. "Little?"

I could swear her gaze moves south, down my body. Briefly, yes, but it definitely does. As if to answer my thoughts, a mesmerizing, wide, yet painfully teasing grin spreads across her face. My heartbeat is increasing to a dangerous level again.

I choose to take control over my own mind again before I completely turn into a weak mess because of her. "Well, excuse me for caring for my people."

Vara chuckles lightly and, at the same time, something nudges me hard against my back. Over my shoulder, I spot Toothless urging me to join the pair in the air. "Okay, okay, patience, bud."

I laugh and Vara joins in, blessing my ears yet again with that angelic sound.

I gasp at the icky feeling of Toothless licking my face. "Ahhhhh, Toothless!" I complain and try to shove the giant dragon-baby off my bed. "You know that doesn't wash out!"

Toothless only chuckles in response and I shoot him a glare. But my annoyance doesn't last long at the sight of those big green puppy eyes. I throw my head back and groan because I know I can't stay mad at him – and he knows that, too.

As if reading my mind, he starts to pant like a dog and tilts his head overdramatically.

Oh, yeah, I think to myself and pinch the bridge of my nose, he knows damn well he has me wrapped around his finger.

I sigh and swing my legs over the side of my bed, interlinking my left leg with its prosthetic. Holding on to the side of the mattress, I notice my knuckles are turning white from pressing so hard. I clench and unclench my jaw multiple times.

It was a dream, I remind myself, it wasn't real, idiot.

But how I wish it were.

Ever since Vara left, New Berk has been peaceful. It seems, Grimmel is keeping his promise. But I would rather have Vara by my side and fight against him together, than have it this way. I know she won't be gone for long but...I have a weird feeling about this. I know we'll have her back soon, but I can't shake off this feeling -  as if my gut knows that something is about to happen.

And as if Grimmel alone isn't enough, there's also the issue of Vass. That lying, treacherous bastard. He weaselled his way into the gang, gained their trust – even I started to see him in a less villainous way –, only for him to betray us and work behind Vara's back. And now he's there with her. He's able to see her every day. I don't know why that thought fills me with so much rage, I could burst. Actually, I do know. But I won't allow myself to give in to that emotion.