Chapter 6

Hiccup

It' been a quiet day. Again. Actually, it's been days, plural, and still nothing. Ever since we came across the fury and its rider, I have felt something stir inside of me and come back to life. I am not willing to let that feeling go just yet, so I pat Toothless on his head to wake him up. We've been taking a break on a small island, though I wouldn't really call it an island, more like a decent piece of stone with one large pine tree.

Toothless dramatically yawns and stretches like a feline as I patiently wait for him to stop stalling. He looks up to me with those big green and trusting eyes, knowing full well I can't stay mad at those. My lips slightly curl, which is enough for Toothless to give me a crooked smile.

"Let's go, bud", I chuckle.

Vara

It's been a quiet day. I don't mind, to be completely honest. I have always struggled with finding peace. Resting makes me feel guilty about not doing enough. But Aria taught me to cut myself some slack, so here I am on a beautiful sunny day, lying in a soft field of grass and trying to doze off.

Aria left a few minutes ago. Perhaps to catch some food or play with other dragons.

Right about when I can feel myself drifting into sleep, the sunlight that falls onto my eyelids is interrupted by several moving shadows. Seriously, I cannot catch a break.

"These damn birds", I mumble very much annoyed. But when I open my eyes, I see silhouettes of dragons flying past our island. They look like they're fleeing from something. Or someone.

Dragon hunters. Again. Yay.

It could be that silver haired man. That thought motivates me enough to get up and head for the shore.

The stabbing pain in my arm hasn't entirely faded away yet but it's gotten better. To stay on the safe side, I keep it still and well-rested.

I spot Aria sitting on the edge of the cliff, looking up into the sky. Her ears twist back as soon as she senses my presence. As I come to a halt next to her and let my eyes fall upon the vast blue ocean, I can see...nothing. There is nothing. So, what are these dragons flying away from?

"I guess we ought to help them from whatever's been scaring them off, huh?", I lean against Aria's broad and warm shoulder. She only huffs in response, clearly disagreeing with me.

"I'm okay, really", I try to convince her but it doesn't seem to work. She averts my attempts to lock eyes, to which I only chuckle lightly and walk closer towards her side and-

Aria moves a step back, not letting me get up.

"Aria, please", my voice sounds whiny and pleading. I don't have the energy to do this right now, "We swore to help each and every dragon that's in possible danger."

As if considering my argument, she narrows her eyes, the purple of her irises glistening in the sunlight.

After many painful seconds, she gives up and motions for me to get on. Finally.

I smile, admiring her intelligence and ability to communicate with an entirely different species.

As I pull myself onto her back, my right arm is complaining loudly in response to my body weight. I ignore the pain. Guess we're not staying on the safe side any more.

Hiccup

A few minutes after we've embarked on our journey to find the rider and dragon again, Toothless and I startle at the sound of a dragon calling for help. I am not the expert Fishlegs is, but it sounds like a young dragon. Maybe even a baby.