Chapter 46

Hiccup

There's that addictive laugh again.

Did I really say that? Out loud?! In front of everybody?!

Shame gnaws at my bones. But at the same time, I don't regret saying it. Her laughter is addictive. It's the most beautiful sound and I wish I could keep hearing it for eternity.

Judging by the way she reacted, I could tell she was uncomfortable. I know I should have approached her sooner; told her about how my heart bleeds for her; how my mind is a dark mess without her. For fuck's sake, I should have told her Astrid and I are no longer a couple. I should have done that a long time ago.

It is never too late, right? Now, panic is seizing the blood inside my veines. Should I have not hugged her like that? For all I know, she felt uneasy in the Great Hall. But I couldn't help myself. I had to touch and hold her. I had to.

Yet, she didn't pull away, did she? Maybe, just maybe, she feels a fraction of what I feel for her? It is worth a shot. The only question is: how do I tell her? Ask her?

I feel like the same weakling I was seven years ago. Nothing has changed, apparently.

Vara

The rest of the day, from the bright of the morning to the dark of the night, I spend with my girl. Her wounds are almost healed entirely and, soon, we can begin with some exercises to build up muscle mass again. It is going to take a while before she can fly as elegantly and swiftly and smoothly as before, but we will get there. I will stay by her side every step of the way.

The following morning, I am crouching next to Aria, sorting through some notebooks. Fishlegs' discovery is still fresh in my mind. Now, I've got the time to do some research myself. Fishlegs is a reasonable man, but is what he said really the truth? Could the Lycanwing be real? I've only ever heard stories about the mystical creature. Supposedly, it is rarer than a Night Fury. Stronger, faster. A shiver runs down my spine – a warning.

"Hey," his slightly high-pitched but husky voice is as familiar as my own. I look up and see him standing in the opening of the cave, plates of foods in his hands. His eyes scan my every feature but he remains there, the distance between us surprisingly sickening. Matter-of-fact he states, "You have to eat."

I study him quietly for a second. I haven't eaten a good meal since the day before yesterday and I can hear my stomach growling at the sight of those ripe grapes and the smell of freshly baked bread. The fish I shared with Aria has done little to satisfy that hunger. But then my eyes flash towards Aria and the notes I am sorting through. And I remember the sting of seeing him talking to Astrid - and the guilt I still feel. In an instant, I am not hungry anymore. "I don't want to," I reply tightly.

Sighing softly, Hiccup walks over to me and breathes out, "Just eat."

He's now standing in front of me and I need to tilt my head far to the back to be able to look him in the eyes. The straight line of his lips and that frown of his tell me there is no possibility of bargaining. Silently, I grab one plate and as soon as I start to eat, my stomach growls greedily. At the sound of that, Hiccup huffs a soft smile.

I raise my eyebrows when he sits down next to me. Aria is still asleep to my other side but I can see her ears twitching, showing that she's aware of everything that is happening around her.

For every heartbeat that Hiccup quickens with his proximity, Aria is the lifeline that is keeping me sane.

With his knees up and his arms resting on top of them, Hiccup leans his head back against the cold cave wall. His Adam's apple bounces up and down ever so slightly. I allow myself to admire his side profile for the fraction of a moment – the way the early sun rays catch in his hair and cast a halo around his face, highlighting those sharp cheekbones and the slight stubble on his chin and cheeks. The bright light causes the green in his eyes to glow more brightly and vibrantly than I have ever seen them do before.