Chapter 11

Three weeks after arriving on New Berk

Some random Viking

"So??", Chaghatai Khan shouts and gestures furiously at the deserted island we're standing on, "Where are they?! We've waited three useless weeks. They should be here and ready to give us a proper fight!"

Mr. Grisly disnae bother and focusses on a strange piece of paper called a "map". "Gone. Obviously", he says.

"The night fury escaped you...again?!", Griselda the Grevious growls loudly.

"I encouraged it", Mr. Grisly stays calm and the others listen intently, "They've abandoned their only defensible position." He smiles and he reminds me of a vicious beast with sharp teeth, "Running scared with what little they can carry. And we're going to follow them."

The others exchange concerned looks.

"Don't fret", Mr. Grisly stands up and looks down on them, "They won't get far. The night fury is distracted. He's met the female." He starts walking slowly, "Furies mate for life, you see." He stands still again and smiles proudly.

"Yeah, yeah, yeah. But where did they go?", Ragnar the Rock asks. I am standing next to him and he smells like oxters (means: armpits).

Grimmel rolls his eyes and sighs. "Do I have to explain this?", he looks at everyone and then says with an irritated tone, "Night furies can't survive in the cold...soo they haven't gone north." He makes a cross somewhere on the paper. "They're trying to put distance between themselves and enemies to the east and south..." He makes another cross. "And...night furies cannot fly long distances without rest. Their flight path must include stops. Therefore, they've gone...", he arches his eyebrows and looks around expectantly, "They can only have gone...? Does anyone want to take a guess?"

Nobody knows the answer.

"Anyone?", he gets more impatient, "W-w-w-w?"

"Ah! East!", Mr. Rock shouts happily. Mr. Grisly places a hand on his face and then snarls, "West! Hm? Simple, you see?" He smiles like a beast again, "Isn't this fun? Yes? No?"

Ms. Grevious scoffs and Mr. Khan turns around and walks away. Everyone looks annoyed and disappointed.

"Where's your love of the hunt, huh?", Mr. Grisly holds out his arms in triumph, "I thought you were conquerors! You'll have your prize, in time. Just allow me a few more days to enjoy this. I have dearly missed it."

I dinnae like this.

"Men, prepare our ships", Mr. Grisly commands.

"Aye", we answer.

Meanwhile...

"It didn't mean anything, Astrid!", he pleads. I can see the worry and shame in his eyes but there's something else, too.

I suck in a breath and say much calmer, "You're lying, Hiccup. Admit it, you've been possessed by her ever since you first saw her! And she didn't even have to take her mask off then. I could see it. For Thor's sake, every idiot could see it! Even the twins!" Tears sting my eyes but I don't allow them to fall and show, so I pinch my eyes shut and turn my back to him.

"You kissed her", I spit out the words as if they were poisonous.

In one swift movement, I pick up my axe and throw it at a tree. It hits its target perfectly in the middle, splinters of wood flying around upon impact. I don't know who I'd rather throw my axe at, him or her.

Before I can hear another stupid word out of his stupid mouth, I run away like I did when I first found out about him and Toothless. Only this time, it's not a dragon he's with. And this time, I'm not angry and scared. Just angry.