Chapter 27

Holy cannoli guacamole, now we're suddenly over 600 reads?! Thank you so much!!

Astrid

Saying those words, finally saying them, it feels like I've been stuck under a mountain with nothing but darkness choking me and finally, some shred of light guides me to the surface.

Even though Hiccup and I have broken up quite some time ago, a small part of me is glad to see hurt flash over his face at those words.

I was managing just fine. I know getting over him will be a long process and I'll have to be patient. But seeing him...kiss her awakened something furious in me - something I couldn't overcome yet. It takes time.

By helping the village everyday and standing by our side, Vara has officially won over our hearts and has become part of our group. I never thought it possible at the beginning, but she's one of my closest friends and one of my only girlfriends next to Heather. That's why it hurt all the more to watch Hiccup fall in love with her; that's also why I beat myself internally for not being there just now when the dragon attacked.

Hiccup was right, the Quaken's behaviour was odd. But when I saw her lying there...unconscious...tears were stinging my eyes again. I should have been there - should have been there by her side.

Over the past few weeks, Vara has trusted me enough to tell me a few things about her childhood. It wasn't much but it was enough to tell me she got hurt in the past. That is, up until she met her lovely light fury, Aria.

Oh my Thor, Aria. I hope she's alright. I glance over my shoulder and spy Stormfly trying to cheer up Toothless. I don't know what I'd do without her, even for a day.

„You're not together anymore?" Tuffnut's voice rings through my ears. I shrug in response and silently stare at Hiccup.

He opens and closes his mouth like a fish caught on land. Finally, he says, „Y-Yes. I mean no. I mean yes. I mean yes...no...w-we're not a couple."

My lips slightly curl into a smile at his doofiness. As I said, getting over him will be difficult. There are moments when it's especially hard. For instance, when he steps out of his hut at the beginning of the day and the sleepy mess of auburn hair on his head catches the early rays of the morning sun. Or when he thinks nobody's watching him and he starts talking all goofy to Toothless, completely throwing off his usual chief-mask and letting out his real face – his beautiful face.

I could name many more things but it all comes down to one thing: I know I'll always love Hiccup in some way. But I have to let him go. Not only for him to be happy, but also for me to find my purpose and...hopefully my person.

„Wow, alright. That's....a lot to- RUFFNUT!" I flinch at Tuffnut's sudden scream and see Hiccup doing the same.

„RUFFNUT!" It sounds like his entire throat is ripped apart by his screaming. It would definitely save my ears from bleeding to complete deafness.

„WHAT?!" Ruff yells back and catches the attention of the group. My eyes automatically fall to Vara still lying there by the tree trunk on top of the bed we've made from blankets for her. Something tightens in my chest.

As the (entire) group walks over to us three, I pinch the bridge of my nose and sigh very loudly. Sometimes I wonder how I put up with these people - every day.

Tuff's eyes are white and filled with more panic than those of a sheep seeing a dragon during our dragon races. He holds both hands at each side of his head and screeches louder than any child, „Astrid and Hiccup are not a couple!"